Pinging between 1k-2k RPM 24valve VR6

latty80

Hello,

I have been in contact with my local upso dealers in the past about this, but the problem continues, and I am thinking about going back to stock chip... My upsoluted 2002 GLI pings quite heavily at low RPM's under load. Some have said that a 4 bar FPR (fuel pressure regulator) will help solve this. Moderators, or anyone else, any experience with this or any recent programing updates, or other possible fixes? I dont really want to fool around with replacing the FPR. I use 93-94 octane and have a cold air intake and cat back exhaust. (pings with stock airbox as well) Thanks
Dave

René

Contact me on where you were chipped and by whom. I will track down what file you have. You have a problem with your car, we have a ton of these running VR6 with chips that are not experiencing this.

sloanvm

Hi there,

I thought id post this here in this thread seeing I have a vr6 aswell but 12v and experiencing some problems I think are from the chip. The problem is i'm useing a huge amount of gas now, seams like its eating it. I fill up, zero the km on the cluster and from absolute full tank to exactly half tank i'm getting 191km. I got the chip installed last june june 04 that is, and i'm now experiencing this, is this typical? Before with the chip just installed I could get from 280 - 290km from full to half tank. Ive had the fuel sending unit checked and it seams to be fine, but i'm not ruling that out yet, just wanted to here what you had to say before getting them to put a new one in under warrenty. the car is a 2002 jetta vr6 12v with the upsolute chip done by 10xtuning here in Toronto.

DonR

Sloan if you can contact Andrew or Gary at 10xtuning to arrange an appointment perhaps this Sat morning Jan 22nd I can meet up with you to help diagnose your car with the VAG-COM. I may be able to sort your matter out.

sloanvm

trying to get a hold of Gary there. i will post if its a go or when it can be done for all of us. thanks for the speedy reply. :) I just whent out to the car look at the gas guage 287.0 km and its reading almost to the second line after the 1/2 mark towards empty. I think at this rate i will be empty around 340km .

since i got you here, is there an update to this chip?

DonR

LOL...no probs. You will either have to ask Andrew,Gary or Rene. I'm sure 10xtuning will let you know.

sloanvm

Andrew at 10x tuning is going to hook my car on there computer this saturday morn at 9am when they open.

Could be faulty coolent sensor, seeing the maf and o2 was replaced a week ago. gary doesn;t think its the chip, but will find out sat when they vagcom it. tell you all about it.

sloanvm

don;'t know the time yet. I think its the sending unit on the car, had one go on another jetta and simuliar things were happening, untill the gauge was floating back and forth.

scottramsey

yeah, check for codes, record your fuel trims, check o2 operation, check coolant temp, log MAF. I diagnosed a VR6 earlier this year that had very poor consumption and it was a problem with the O2 sensor heater circuit. If you get this fault then the O2 sensor is ignored and the fuel trims stop working.

Another thing is when its cold out the consumption increses dramatically....I'm personally seeing about a 15% reduction in economy due to cold temps on my own car. :mad:

scottramsey

Hello,

I have been in contact with my local upso dealers in the past about this, but the problem continues, and I am thinking about going back to stock chip... My upsoluted 2002 GLI pings quite heavily at low RPM's under load. Some have said that a 4 bar FPR (fuel pressure regulator) will help solve this. Moderators, or anyone else, any experience with this or any recent programing updates, or other possible fixes? I dont really want to fool around with replacing the FPR. I use 93-94 octane and have a cold air intake and cat back exhaust. (pings with stock airbox as well) Thanks
Dave

IIRC some stock 2002's had this issue can't remember what the fix was though...

DonR

No I don't officially work for them I helped with the development of the 1.8T BT SW.

I am also good friends with Andrew@10xtuning

Scott, good call...I will look into that, thanks.

sloanvm

i'll be there for 9:30 tomorrow. Not sure what they will find. I think Andrew will look at it, he did the install for me with the chip.

sloanvm

hey scott, yeah 15% sounds about what i'm not getting and was getting. This is the first winter with the chip. o2 was just replaced a week ago along with the maf and well the maf is another story with this car, that was my forth one for this car.

sloanvm

chip was reset last saturday by Gary at 10xtuning. Before seeing gary, my car was getting 287km to the second line after the half before the empty red marks on the gas guage in the cluster. After the chip was reset by Gary at the same point on the gas guage i was getting 387km, a great improvment i must say, so typical over 400 km to a tank if I let it run right out, maybe 440 or better. I was getting before 191 from full to half now, 232 or so. The chip was not responding to the fuel trims set in the program, just like you guys thought. I saw first hand the vag com great tool for sure. I should get me it, but first a lap top would be nice. :) thanks