Dyno'ed My GTI 1.8T (GIAC-vs-Upsolute)

wolfsburg_de

Saturday, I got my car dynoed at Cape Cod Dyno in Sandwich, MA. I made 3 runs with the GIAC chip, then swapped in the UP chip, reset error codes, and did 3 more runs. I logged a whole bunch of parameters, but have not analyzed the data yet.
Here is my first GIAC run -vs- my first UP run.

BTW, I know that the time on the plot is 12 hours fast.
------------------
Andrew gti20v@yahoo.com
My Complete Sig
2000 GTI 1.8T with mild mods
Vroom-Screech-Pshhh-Screech-Vroooom-Pshhh-Chirp-Vroooooom
[This message has been edited by wolfsburg_de (edited 30 April 2001).]

wolfsburg_de

Okay, here are some more graphs. I logged 3 different parameters on each dyno run for each chip. All runs were made in 4th gear.
Here is timing BTDC for each chip. It looks like the GIAC chip is running a little more conservatively than the UP, and it displays a smoother curve as well.

Here is the injector pulse width for each chip. This graph surprises me. I was expecting the UP chip to be dumping much less fuel into the engine than the GIAC. Above 4500, the UP actually delivers MORE fuel.

Lastly, here is the change in cat temperature for each chip. This was a surprise as well. It looks like the UP heats the chip up faster, not slower. Overall, though, both chips seem to increase EGT's about the same. Note: my highest recorded temp was 1274 F with the GIAC chip at 7000 RPM.

René

Great info Wolfsburg. I have to comment that from your description you began the dyno at 4:11 and made 3 GIAC runs, then switched to the Upsolute and ran it at 4:21, thats three runs with a high boost chip in 10 minutes and then the Upsolute, it must have been pretty warm?

wolfsburg_de

Valois,
Yes, the temperatures did climb as each run went by. When I swapped chips, I shut down the engine, but kept the fan blowing into the engine compartment.
BTW, I got the timing thing reversed, the UP is running with less advance, therefore it is more conservative.