Just chipped 1.8t Passat.. CEL on now. Help?

turbokh

Hey.. I just installed the ECU with UPsolute chip. First time I started the car, the check engine light came on and stays on. I tried shutting down and restarting, disconnecting the battery, reconnect, restart, etc.. Any other hints? It's not supposed to be on, correct? Never saw it lit before. -Karl :confused:

chipodromo

so the ecu was sent to you y guess, you need the vag com diagnostic tool to read and clean the errors, anyone tried to start the car when ecu was out?
Is it the yellow lamp or the red PCL light on?
anyway : vag com will solve it

turbokh

My car is a 98.. You know, I think I screwed up. I also installed a K&N filter at the same time. 2 changes now enter the mix at the same time... 4 codes showed up, probably several are old. p123 throttle position sensor,
p1544 idle spd cntl, p0601 cntl module memory check error, and p1613 auxilliary input error. Could some of that be caused by the airflow sensor.. messed up by a fresh K&N filter? I didn't oil it, it came that way, but I heard someone say (after the fact) that I should have let it air out??

Turbo Bora

You need to calibrate your throttle body controler. You should have someone with vag-com open block 60 and calibrate it. The keys should be in the ingnition turned to acc power on. it takes 3-5 minutes. Do not touch the accelerator pedal during the process. Also you do not want to be running the battery low while doing this. Make sure it is charging up to at least 12.5Volts.

Another way to do this is to keep the hood open and insert the keys turning them to acc power on and wait for 3-5 minutes for the TB to calibrate. Now that you have thrown a code it must be cleared before the TB will calibrate correctly.

turbokh

You need to calibrate your throttle body controler. You should have someone with vag-com open block 60 and calibrate it. The keys should be in the ingnition turned to acc power on. it takes 3-5 minutes. Do not touch the accelerator pedal during the process. Also you do not want to be running the battery low while doing this. Make sure it is charging up to at least 12.5Volts.

Another way to do this is to keep the hood open and insert the keys turning them to acc power on and wait for 3-5 minutes for the TB to calibrate. Now that you have thrown a code it must be cleared before the TB will calibrate correctly.

So does that mean it will recalibrate itself withOUT a VAG-COM tool? Just 3-5 minutes, keys in & turned to acc, hood open?

Turbo Bora

Clearing the codes does not fix the problem everytime. I would need the five digit code that Vag-com gives out on the error.

Where are you getting this scanned? and what type of scan tool are they using?

Have you contacted the distributor that chipped your car? Most of us carry Vag-Com as well.

Turbo Bora

He must be a busy person. Hopefully it has been taken care of. I always like to hear the final comments. ;)

After doing the Throttle body calibration via keys and door you should immediately start the car from the ACC power on position. This locks the new calibration into memory.

The best way to do the entire system is by vag-com block 60, but you can do a mini calibration by doing the hood Key trick. I tell people to leave the drivers door open so they can get out and listen to the high pitch of the TB while it runs through it's recalc.

turbokh

Hey... thanks for your replies. Luckily, I have other vehicles to drive while the Passat plays games. It seems to run okay other than a funky return-to-idle. The CEL is still on.. I'm taking it to the VW dealer Wednesday (3/9) to let them scan it and tell me what is still showing up. They know about the chip installation, etc, and are willing to help find the problem.

Can I do the mini-recalibration tonight, prior to going to the dealer tomorrow, and see if that clears things up? It looks simple using the hood & door open, key in on-position method..

I sent an extra ECU to have the chip installed at a shop about 11 hours away, so it's not practical to take it back to them for all of this. I called and asked for help and they never returned my calls. I get to eat the cost of this on my own. Randy, I may try to call you for more hints.. Thanks!

-Karl

Turbo Bora

Unfortunately you can not do a throttle body calibration when you have a CEL or DTC stored in memory. You would have to clear those codes first then do the calibration. You also want to make sure you are not running the stereo, interior lights, and any other battery draining options while doing this. The battery voltage should be above 12.5 Volts.

turbokh

I went to the VW dealer and had them check things out. The codes pointed to problems with the ECU.. the service tech gave me the number of the local UPSolute rep (Tazz in Ontario). I called him and found him super helpful. He figured out that I must have an old program, so I'm removing the ECU and sending it to him to have it reprogrammed. Good thing I've still got the stock ECU to plug in while the chipped one is being repaired, but I'm not looking forward to going back to it, even for a few days! Thanks for your help over the phone and here in this forum. Sounds like Tazz will take care of it from here.. -Karl