k04 kafer proj.

t0ad99

Sorry for the delay, building prog. to save the world, and trying to take a break in the mean time......
I talked to a TurboXS dealer that my local dealer gave me, and we talked about the DV. Now if i bypass the DVvalve(solinoid) and hook it up to the vacum line on top of the DV the car started to perform correctly again, but just as before i went into limp mode and got the code again.
17963 - Charge Pressure: Maximum Limit Exceeded 35-00 - -
BTW: the TurboXS dealer said that the DV would work fine itherway really, they just prefer this was based on certain air pressure discahrge....
So.. whatcha think?

René

I know you have gone through allot, but if the car was mine I would ditch the turboXS valve and the ECS N75, sell them, get a hyperboost valve along with a dawes device in place of the N75, you have a vag com so setting the dawes device for peak boost will not be a problem. If it goes into limp, turn the dawes device down where it does not anymore..

t0ad99

But it doesn't appear to be overboosting, It'll go into limp mode even at 10-15lbs... or while i'm in a vacume state...
From what i saw on the Vortex forum, the link listed above, qoute-->
Stage 3 GTI
VWvortex Member
52 posts [100%]
Auburn Al
2000 VW GTI
Re: I run about 19-23 psi of boost. (gjaime) 5:48 PM 1-17-2002

The code is not being triggered due to actual overboost. There is a problem with a sensor on the car giving the ecu incorrect values. Even if the car had a bad N75 valve and did overboost, this code wouldn't show up like this. APR programs the ecu to expect airflow numbers in the range necessary for well over 280hp. I have seen cars with actual mechanical boost control problems make well over 25psi without throwing this particular code, so I know the software isn't the problem. Start by cleaning the MAF, then go from there.

Sounds like he's an apr dealer, a chips a chip none the less, unless you are telling me that this is a common code amongst Upsolute chips pushing more towards an over boost than anything else.
its snowing right now, so the likely hood of me going outside to clean that MAF are slim today anyway...

t0ad99

Just cleaned the MAF, let it sit for and a little and let it air dry, then squished it back in the buggy.
I'll clear the codes and run it tomorrow if i go to work... see if it snows..
We'll see how this goes.

t0ad99

Still no good, i just emailed the guy who posted the same issue on vortex (the link above) Maybe i can get some insite...

t0ad99

Hmm might be onto something here...
Talked to dude, about what the resolution to his problem was, and he had the vacuum and the wastegate-Accuator mixed up on the N75... i thought blah.. no help there... But then it made me think a little more.. the fact that the DV doesn't work both ways w/o having to bypass the electric valve that controls vacuum control on the DV.
part number 028906283F. I had to replace this vale this past summer because it broke it when i was replacing some of the stock vacuum lines... the one they gavae me was 028906283AGP.
Both parts being slightly different, and how i had set it up, it made sence but not how it was intended to work.
I ordered the new part, i'll letcha know how this goes... pooh to vw parts last summer for the wrong part and my headache..
cross your fingers

t0ad99

The DV works now, the way that TurboXS designed it to work.
But still throwin' that code...
what now..
think i'll drop a line on vortex.. get more info..

t0ad99

Okay with that note, and my vortex note lost in the titles of other posts...
thank you and goodnight, I'll send dyno numbers sometime...
i'll get it.. :)

t0ad99

okay now we have some progress. the tuner I bought the DV from swore to me up and down that the DV was fine. I tried my friends HKS BOV today, and wow no Max Boost Exceeded error... guess its the dv after all... My tuner is going to order a new DV for me, but still insisted the dv was fine. [No refunds at this store... not really good business I think, but that's just my interpretation of business]
Okay... I've got a new question now. as seen in previous posts I was getting
16487 - MAF Sensor [G70]: Signal too High
I get this at high RPM's. VagCom considers this an intermittent code, and doesn't throw me into limp mode. But I would like to know what causes something like this. I have cleaned the MAF a few moons ago [as seen in previous posts] Got any ideas??
Moving right along, a question about Injectors, If I were to install slightly larger primary injectors [say maybe some from a S4 or S6] and used my stock 3bar FPR. Would that balance out the fuel delivery?
eg: Instead of using a 5bar FPR w/ the stock beetle injectors, use a 3bar FPR, w/ large injectors... Or will I be walking into more problems. any information you can give me on this would be nice.
as much detail as possible is appreciated.
thank you again, If at all possible I would like to talk to an Upsolute Rep about reselling there product through a well respected European Tuner, mainly promoting high end European automobiles. I spoke w/ a GIAC dealer last year, but at that time they were not currently looking for more resellers. I would like to promote Upsolute, But would like to discuss the process in more detail with you before we go any further.
contacts
todd.hart@wcom.com <- [guess that 'saving the world' joke has just been explained :) if not, I still think it's funny]
Thanks again

t0ad99

"We did have problems with the 2000 NB 1.8T ( around 20 to 30% of them would trip a boost exceeded code occasionally. The 2001 and 2002 were significantly different. And again we have had no problems with them. as for a dyno, I think I know of someone who has ru one, I'll ask him to post it."
oh really......
this will be corrected..
FYI i got the hypervalve and it holds boost much better, and now i'm overboosting sometimes to the point where it surges still throwing this code, looking at my vagcom data sheets; following the requested boost with THIS! http://www.apexiusa.com/electronics_savcr.asp
[this is a better suggestion than the dawesdevice, much more manuverability]
oh yeah... another question for ya'
"You are right, the ECU (on the newer models) has a protection sheme to prevent the the turbo charger from damage. Once the 'actual boost' is to much different from the 'requested boost' the ECU will go into limp mode disabling the turbo charger. This is no feature from the chip tuners, it's a stock feature preventing the tubo/engine from damage (fe. at a stuck Wastegate). Therefore at these models (who have a charge pressure sensor) this fault situation is normal."
Now when Therotically i should be able to use the boost controller at 7lbs, 10lbs, 15lb whatever.. and i shouldn't trip any codes becuase i'm lower than the requested. if this is wrong then why is it when i disconnect the N75 and run at 6-7psi stock boost how come i don't throw this code that will put me into limpmode. running at 6-7lbs is way below the requested....

t0ad99

so Ali, hows it going with the chip?
I understand that you and Sonny are very busy, as Sonny said it generally takes a few weeks for a k04 chip. It has been since about mid febuary... I think thats alot of weeks... and lets not go back to the day i got the chip i don't have enough fingers, and toes :)
I just find it really hard to get any information on whats going on with my chip. say something anything...
whats up....... :(

Cypher2k

those ECS valves can cause ALL KINDS of issues. Especially with a k04
Get that stupid thing out of there and read my n75 calibration thread.

A dawes device will get you a reliabe boost curve in WOT testing. (but it sucks for part throttle)
Simple troubleshooting approach would be limit the number of variables. Get the thing close to stock as possible, and start adding one thing at a time.

t0ad99

sorry 'bout that dude... but this post is soooo outta the loop.
I've got an Apexi AVCR boost controller in the buggy, its much more advance than a 'dawes device' which is simply a manual boost controller.. blah to that..
I can control boost to a T, i can follow upsolute's boost curve all the way... but the boost curve on low RPM's does not request enough to compensiate for the amount of natrual boost delivered, maybe because my lightened flywheel who knows, but this is all stuff i have mentioned before..
you can take a look at the k05 file graphs and take a look see for your self...
http://www.t0ad.co.uk/nbdev/ko5_run2_15lbs.htm
Okay on this link you will notice on the 'Full Run' the last set of 3 boost spikes is after i turned my car off. In this test i am using my apexi boost controller, simply set at 15lbs. it works for a little while, but generally after i turn the car off, or after a while of driving once i'm in low rpms, the requested boost is at zero even when i'm at 2500-3k rpms... so i throw this horrible max boost exeeded.. blah!!
You will see in all the low-rpm graphs the throttle position, doesn't reflect requested boost in some cases, the requested is very erratic, but high RPMS its pretty consistent..
but this is all stuff sonny, and ali already knew...

René

Have you adjusted your wastegate as aaalex requested, it appears that the actual is lagging the requested and this is what is throwing the code. Almost like there is a capacitance in the boost sensor which causes a delayed signal. Know anybody else with a 1.8T that you could swap charge pressure sensors with to test?

t0ad99

No i did not adjust the internal wastegate, it is set at the stock position.
I did however leave Alex a message about this right below his message, because he was comparing apples to oranges talking about the wastegate and an adjustable Diverter Valve... But i recieved no response to claify...
?? maybe i'm not being clear.. ??
look at the fullrun graph, the chip works fine until i turn off the car.. (that is the the last chunk that looks out of place then it throws the code towards the very end)
why adjust the wastgate if it is apparent that my wastgate is set correctly, by the high rpm runs, and the first chunk of the chart..) Not to mention the fact that i only throw this code at LOW rpms after turning off the car.
I never throw this code with my stock chip, are you trying to tell me that my pressure sensor at fault here, it would technically happen with the stock chip too. sounds more like the chip, it has a tendency to alter actual pressure sesnor readings...
Oh i forgot to mention this nice little fact, that in sept when i got my k04 chip, it was actually a k03 file, that is why i was getting these hudge boost readings on my vagcom, when i could swear by my boost guage and boost controller that i never exeeded X boost.
So it wasn't even the n75 back in the earlier post that alex had mentioned about the actuator and such causing me to throw that code, it was just the ecu thinking acutal boost was exeeding requested because the chip was adding ~ +5lbs to my ACTUAL boost......
It was just how the chip was interupting the pressure sesnor signal. I noticed between these 2 chips the k04 file read the pressure sesnor readings more accurately than the k03(k03 was off by atleast 5lbs) that is why i would throw a code with that chip at high and low rpms, and w/ the k04 file i only throw codes at low rpms.. after i turn the car off (after resetting the error code.)
I was going to put my stock chip in and push another graph, but my board is now dead cuz unek suggested a company for a chip, who trashed my board, and Unek did absoultely nothing about it.
I asked sonny for an easy solution to this problem. that was to have the k05 file moddified so requested boost was set at a static rate of 25lbs. then i can continue to use my boost controller, for daily driving and boost applications. He said he sent this request to ali, i have bugged him atleast once a week asking for updates, and he never got any..
sonny also said that Rene doesn't like to do custom chips, and just yesterday i saw a post on vortex http://forums.vwvortex.com/zerothread?id=224346 bugpower says you can, maybe something changed in the past year since the post... who knows...
see now you see all the running around and hear say i get...
what would you do?

t0ad99

?? Still no word from anyone.. whats going on??
So.. how many k04 2000 Beetle's with sucsessful Upsolute Chips in there car??