Kick in the backside question

ecw40

I have a 2000 passat wagen 1.8 liter turbo that has been chipped. I only have had the car 3 months and the turbo selfdestructed (bearings fried to the point where it became a hunk of metal. All the moving parts fused/welded together). I have this problem that I hope someone reading these posts might know what is going on with this car. When I go to accelerate, and then I have to back off because someone cut me off or slowed down, I get a severe jolt when I am accelerating again at around 40 mph. Seems like something is disconnecting then slamming back in behind the driver seat. If I had a rear wheel drive car it would seem like the drive shaft was coming out of the differental then slamming back in. It does not happen at any other speed. My German Master Mechanic who replaced my turbo and oxigen sensor said the car is perfect and tight as a drum. Yet this quirk in acceleration persists. Anyone have any similar experiences or know what causes this? Its driving me nuts. A volkswagen dealership near me told me it was a shift point and all volkswagens do that. I dont quite buy that theory. I would like to hear from you if you by chance know what is going on. Thank you for your time and interest. Elliot

Turbo Bora

Is this an Automatic transmission? Sounds like a torque converter. 2000 eh? How many miles were on it when it happened?

Bearings fried in a turbo. Could it be the oil? You are running a synthetic right? Coking of the oil can cause the oil supply/return line to become clogged. Thus letting the bearing get quite hot. Melt down... using dyno oil would be a bad idea. These cars, especially the turbos, require a full synthetic to be used. The synthetic oil will not break down under heat as bad as the dyno oil. Also if your driving is lets say extremely spirited then you might want to idle the engine for a bit afterward. This lets the oil supply and return lines keep lubricating the bearing with new oil. Cutting off the engine after a hard run is bad. The oil stops circulating and sits there against that hot metal bearing and boils off into a coked state (burnt oil). This coke is what cloggs up the oil lines.

scottramsey

yeah what randy said :) regarding the dead turbo, have your mechanic do an oil pressure test to check for sludging, if its low then either have it cleaned out (pull the pan and install new oil pump) or do a program with auto-RX. http://www.auto-rx.com
Hopefully he installed a new oil line with the turbo.The K03 is generally a very sturdy unit.

VW has extended the warranty for this issue (with receipts) although it mght not apply if you bought the car used. Synthetic *is a must*, 0W-40 or 5W-40, you should also install the new high-capacity oil filter. This should be done on all passats stock or chipped.

The trans. has been known to be a little quirky, maybe try doing a kickdown re-adaptation with vagcom. Performance can be improved sometimes with a fluid change if you have a lot of miles. or do a code scan of the transmission and see if anything pops up.

We have chipped TONS of TIP cars :cool: with success so its not the chip.

check out http://www.passatworld.com

ecw40

Thank you both of you. I am going to print this off and show it to my German Master Mechanic. The new turbo unit had new oil line on it. Its an original turbo unit, not a remanufactured one. I seriously doubt if they could remanufacture this one. IF they are able to redo this one then I bet it will be crap as it would have too much play in it. I am using synthetic oil and I just learned I need to do it every 3k not five like my manual says. Again thank you both for your ideas and comments. I hope to keep this car longer than a year. I bought it 3 months ago at 56k and now have close to 60 k.

ecw40

Hello. Thank you for your input and assistance, Hallopt45. I noticed this kick first around 57k and under certain conditions I get a noticable jerk, as I stated earlier. I have the Shift tronic Quasi automatic. Yes I do use synthetic oil (as long as I have had the car I have either the car serviced at Aristrocrat Volkswagen dealership or Autobahn). I am going back over to the Autobahn Garage Monday for this issue and I will bring your comments with me. Unfortunately I am not the original owner of this car (the second) and I dont know how religously he/she maintained it before I bought it. It did have racing rims on the wheels. I must say my level of enthusiasm for turbos in particular and volkwagens in general have taken a severe beating. I was hoping to keep this car intact for at least 6 years with minimal maint work. Doesnt look like that is going to happen. Anyway, thank you for your input. I really appreciate it.

Turbo Bora

I am sorry that you have had so much trouble with your car. The VWs are good cars. There is, however, some things that need to be watched. Forums, like the one Scott referred you to, are a very powerful tool. Knowing the little tricks can save you a ton of money. It sounds like you have a mechanic that not only knows his trade, but cars about it as well.

The Tiptronic transmission has some neat features that can be adjusted using a Vag-Com tool. That kick in the backside you are experiencing sounds like either a transmission problem starting up, or the settings have been tweaked for better results. Either way I wish you the best. Scott and I drive the Passat 1.8T. We also frequent that forum from time to time. Our names are pretty much the same as the ones we use here.

ecw40

Hello again. Its been a while. The long battle with the kick in the backside issue for my car is over. Dealer replace the N74 valve on the transmission (how does this valve compared to the N75 I have been reading about?). They also removed and cleaned the throttle body injectors. Dealer found and replaced broken vaccuum lines. While the service mechanic was out road testing the repairs, the car went into limp mode. To resolve it they had to reload some computer codes (I hope this doesn't wipe out my chipping. If it does, please let me know). Car seems much quieter and runs smoothly. Thanks to my warranty, my car bill was only $14.86. They paid 440. Now we shall see how long my car holds together. Questions: When do you suggest doing a timing belt change (I am at 60 k now)? Also, do you idle your engine (if you have a turbo)to circulate the oil every time you come to shut the car off after you have been out driving? I am confused on that point. Someone said that the 1.8 liter turbo engine has a built in engine cooler for just this purpose. I have a 2000 passat wagon 1.8l turbo that has been chipped. I welcome your comments. Elliot

René

If you have been de]riving 80 on the highway and pull off into a ret area you need to let it idle for a few minutes, If you get off the interstate and have a couple of miles of 35 mph or 45 mph areas to go through with stop lights, then you do not need to let it adle as much to prevent oil from coking in the supply lines of the turbo and bearing area.