Serial Port Programming

snb

Is there any plans or is there Serial Port Programming available for the VAG cars using the ODBII port in the car? Any details?

paultakeda

If UPsolute is to remain competitive, even its lower price won't be much of an incentive against SPP.
Also, with regards to switchability. I know only 2K and under ECUs are currently supported, but as seen in the recent developments made by other tuners, multiple switchable programs are now able to reside in all ECUs. Rumor says extra memory is found in other chips on the ECU, but who knows.
All I know is, UPsolute needs to get this ball rolling.
[ 22 July 2003: Message edited by: paultakeda ]

René

Upsolute in Europe has been doing it for awhile now on certain models. When I asked about it I was told it was a real pain speed wise on certain models, easier to just pull the ECU.....

SlvrBllt

Well when I asked before everyone said it couldnt be done. I have personally watched SPP and it takes a grand total of about 12 minutes. Plus its a lot easier on the ECU board.

Alex

Technical Support
Mitarbeiter
Administrator
Valois is right, we do it mainly on cars where it is not possible to make the 'normal' chiptuning. There are several disadvantages to the normal tuning process, but it of course is an option. It can take a very long time, and if comunication is broken in the middle of the process, the ECU is 'dead' and the chip need to be soldered out and reflashed. I see no real advantage, since there can be done not more than at the normal chiptuning. Soldering is not the issue, when it is done professinally nobody will see that it has been done.. The greatest advantage of the OBD tuning is of course that it can be done by anyone, so eaven not skilled persons will do chiptuning in the future and deal arround with some misterious files. I really see no atvantage, but since some customers want to have it we are offering it, at the moment only at the HQ, soon in whole Europe (at selected distributers) mainly for the cars not possible by soldering.

ROCKRLR

The REVO SPP does mess up the ECU if the programming cuts off in the middle as explained by Alex. APR's DPP on the other hand is able to resume if communication is lost.

Alex

Technical Support
Mitarbeiter
Administrator
I can not imagine how the resume should work (technical), but I don't know it seems there is a way..?

GTi 1.8T

Alex, we need to research on this...
I think if we manage to make this SPP work (even resuming when connection is lost), we (distributors) could work a lot better...
I could make a gtg, and chip about 15 to 20 people...

Each and everyone, ask me about: how much does the ECU cost if it goes anything wrong?
Are you sure soldering wont hurt the ECU?
Warranty on the ECU?

Then they fear about taking out the ECU...

I dont know... but plz... keep the info going!
Regards,

Henry Locher
Upsolute Venezuela

Alex

Technical Support
Mitarbeiter
Administrator
Henry, you are right, and we do active research on it (in fact we are offering it, and some distributers in Europe does either). However it's still in development and we will not officially offer it until it is flawless and it is perfect well tested... It's good to be fast, but it's more important to keep up a high quality level.

GTi 1.8T

Exactly!
there is no need to rush, if its not flawless...
Keep up the work, and please, keep us info with tech advantage, disadvantage...

I received all gear for the SPI this week, I'll be testing it on an Opel/Vauxhall today, and an A3 1.8T this week. (maybe a Renault too)... I'll let you know how it went. :D

Audi A3 1.8 T failed: was a model from before 2000, no ME7 ECU I guess. I hate removing ECU's from A3, since the cable running under the whiper plastic (only there at the A3) cuts your hands right open. (anyone know how hard it is to remove the whole plastic whiper thing, so access is easier?)

Renault Megane 1.9dci: not tested yet

Skoda Superbe: works great. Read out in under 2 mins, partial (240 Kb). Upload: doing tonite. :)

***EDIT***

Finished the Skoda: programming time: 4 mins. Very easy install, very satisfied customer. :D