Surging

1.8Turbonut

Alex,
Now i've had a couple of days to get used to the Upsolute power, i am noticing definate surging.
If i go to wide open throttle in 2nd or 3rd (not noticed the problem so much in the other gears) then the car will boost strongly, then lose boost, then re-boost and so on. Is this the DV do you think?
I have also noticed today (on damp roads) that i can spin the wheels in second gear WITH ASR ON! Have you heard of this problem before?
Thanks
Jon

René

It's possibe to spin the wheels with the ASR on, it has a slight delay until it kicks in. The Surging is most likely your DV, you are fortunate that Forge is located in the UK, you should be able to get one easily. They have a great product, we use them exclusively here from their distributor, Stratmosphere. You can also do a throttle calibration to smooth out stuttering, open the drivers door and hood, turn the key to the on position for 3 minutes, you will here the TB whine, when it stops you can crank the car and test it.

1.8Turbonut

Valios,
Did you mean 3 seconds? Previous posts (A4SOME) have indicated that 6 seconds should do it, i have been doing that since i heard about it.
It was much cooler today and i didn't get the surging, maybe things are nice and tight while cool and so no leaks?
Jon

shakini

TurboNut;
I tried the Throttle Body Adaptation this morning (before I left for work) and as soon as I turned the key to the 'ON' position, I ran over to the engine and put my ear near the throttle cable. Sure enough, after about 6 or so seconds, I heard a quite loud 'click' that came straight from the cable. No doubt about it. I wasn't looking at it though, so don't know whether it moved. Don't know how it will sound on your engine cos you are Drive by Wire. But it definitely did do something....

Shakini.
:) Upsoluted 1.8T

Upsolute S.A

Turbonut -
That is for sure your DV that is giving you the problems with surging - This is the EXACT same description of the problem that was solved by replacing the DV on oneof my customers cars.
The forged works pretty well - I must say.
One thing I did notice with the forge DV is that the leaks in the system (previously caused by the stock DV) are 'plugged' and there is a LITTLE extra boost in the system and a very slight increase in performance is felt.
Hope this helps.

1.8Turbonut

Valois,
I'll try the throttle recalibration, what should i listen for - a click or something?
UP SA - i'll let you know when i replace my DV if it feels stronger as well as smoother.
Jon

marriedblonde

Jon/Trev
I have the same problem with my car. (same as jon's) 2001 gti turbo. I've got a forge and have had the internals replaced but still can't seem to cure the problem.
I have tried the recalibration but to noavail
Jon let me know if your's is fixed.
James

shakini

Hmmmm. Both TurboNut and MarriedBlonde have the DBW (AWW) engine, and both are experiencing surging. I'm assuming Trev is OK, and I havn't had any surging yet, and we both have the older engines (non Drive-by-wire). Would this be a factor? Would someone like to comment? Alex? Ali?
Shakini.

1.8Turbonut

Not fixed, but not tried yet, still stock DV. Very busy at the moment but was going to get a forge DV next month, but after Marriedblonde's post i'm wondering whether or not to spend 90quid if the problem isn't going to be gone?
Suggestions anyone?
Jon

Alex

Technical Support
Mitarbeiter
Administrator
Sorry for the late reply.. we have been on another GTI meeting here in Austria this weekend (from Wendsday)...
The ESP spinning wheels is possible if the power is smooth enoght. Normally it's possible if the wires just slightly spin, at massive spinning, the ESP kicks in...
I will double check the file you have in. I can not imagine it is from the file, but I will keep you informed (we made the file right there). Normally this really sounds like a DV problem, just confused since marriedblonde has the problem with the forge DV...
I will let you know the result of my checking the file...
...alex
------------------
Alex
technical support
www.upsolute.com

marriedblonde

Jussa
Are you saying you don't have the surging problem when accelerating, it feels like loss of boost and then it builds up again etc.
Do you have a forge DV?

René

The DV can certainly cause this kind of problem when it's associated with a loss of boost. but the throttle body can also contribute to a surging that is not boost related. When you do the calibration with the drivers door open and the key on, you'll hear a high pitched whine from the throttle body , it takes about 3 minutes for it to move from one extreme to the other. When you no longer hear the whine it's calibrated. Adaptation is even better as it clears any codes, and resets other parameters on the engine. It requires a vag-com or scan tool.

Jussa

Can u guys please explain to me what surging is....??
I'd like to know if I get it....?
Also what is this loud clicking u guys are talking about......I've also got a drive-by-wire.
By the way Alex, I'd just like to thank you guys for the excellent job u did on my 1.8T at the GTi meeting in Crowthorne, I couldn't believe the power and torque increase, just 3 days ago I dropped an Audi TT 225BHP from a set of lights....UNBELIEVABLE, he wasn't happy at all...hehe.
One concern I have though, is that when I start the car, and it's not warm, it tends to shake a bit......feels like a V8 if u know what I mean, but as soon as the rev's go down to normal, it feels fine.
Please explain......?
THANX again
Jussa

Jussa

Guys,
After speaking to marriedblonde on the phone, he asked me to floor my car in 3rd at 3000rpm, sure enough, it started boosting for about 2 seconds and then sort of went limp, and then started boosting again. I wouldn't have normally noticed this, because when I want to floor it, I normally gear down first.I still have the standard DV in my car as it has only 4500 miles on the clock, it is also a drive-by-wire, 2001 model. Please advise when u guys get a solution to the problem.
Cheers,
Jussa.

René

Ganchi, All of the distributors that report to me in North America are familiar with it, there is a thread on the Vortex as well. It is not only Upsolute that is affected by this issue, and not all 1.8T's are affected, the issue generally goes away on it's own after some use, unless it's DV related. As can be noted on the 20v turbo forum. If not related to the DV , it is a result of the Throttle body adaptation. We have many many 1.8T's running the same files with no such problem, we are aware that it is not related to the file specifically, only as it applies to certain cars. Those that have had the problem and performed a TBA have decreased the condition. Again unless it's attributed to a DV that is not holding.

shakini

TurboTrev,
When you get a chance, please can you try flooring the gas in 3rd at 3000 RPM, and let us know if you get the same problem. I will try it tonight too and let you all know. So far, all the guys who are experiencing surging are all Drive by Wire. Me and Trev have Throttle cables, so we'll see if it does it on our cars. But so far, from what I can tell, I don't think I have experienced surging. Hopefully there will be a definite solution for it soon.
Shakini.