Surging

1.8Turbonut

Alex,
This is from the vortex, i presume written by a chip tuner:
"the is a map in the program that controlles the boost dilvery what is happening is a 1-2 pound boost deviation for example it could go
15-17-15-17-15-17-15-15-15- then it smooths out. the answer to this problem is in the programing. I know this might cause problems but the problem can be easliy fixed in the programming. I can tell you with 100% assurance on the 2001 that the problem is in the chip and can be easly fixed . We had a customer simular situation he changed the chip no more problem. there is one line of code that need changing to fix this"
I understand that you are sending marriedblonde a new chip to try, have you changed the same line of code? Since james has forge, has done the throttle body alignment and still has a problem (as do I) it would be good news if that was the problem! We'll wait and see.
Jon

marriedblonde

Jon/Justin
Alex has been in touch with again this morning, they are trying there hardest to get a solution. I have decided to invest in a VAG-COM tool to try to resolve this fault. I have had a couple of new bits from forge to also try to rectify the problem. (differnet rate springs, different plunger in the DV) As soon as I get this resolved I will pass the info onto you guys.
I just want to say a big thanks to Alex of Upsolute and to Peter at Forge for all the help they are giving into trying to resolve my problems (well ours actually)
As soon as I know more I will let you know.

westward

Hello!
We Have Also Experienced Surging Problem On Seat Cupra 1.8t. We Think It Is A Heat Related Problem Regarding The Boost Solenoid.
This Is The Solenoid That Get`s Pulsed By The Ecu To Control Boost. On The Seat It Is Located Very Close To The Turbo Pressure Pipe Going To The Intercooler. It Also Get`s It`s Pressure Feed From This Pipe. This Would Mean Hot Air Going Into The Solenoid.
By Re-Locating The Solenoid And Using A Longer Feed Pipe To Allow Heat Dissipate The Problem Can Be Solved. Also We Have Noticed That When Boost Pressure Is Increased There Is Also An Increase In Oil Vapour Going Through The Pipe`s. This Can Cause The Solenoid To Stick And Divert Boost Pressure Back Into The Intake Pipe Which Is The Noise That Sound`s Like The Dump Valve Leaking.
Please To Add,This Is Our Theory Which May Not Be Related To Your Specific Car`s.
Just Thought We Would Share Our Experience With This Problem.
Any More Input To This Problem ? .
Regard`s.......Westward

shakini

Guys,
Just like to confirm that I tried flooring it in 3rd at 3000 RPM and didn't get ANY surging. looks like a problem related to DBW cars....
TurboNut;MarriedBlonde,Jussa;
I hope the new chip going to MarriedBlonde sorts this out...
Regards,
Shakini.

not to sound COMPLETELY stupid....but i just got my golf gls 1.8t last week, and I'm trying to figure things out....but what is "drive by wire"??

overlook my ignorance for now and thanks...

TurboTrev

Guys
Like Shakini, no problems at all with surging (cable throttle) - still well pleased with my chip. Hope you DBW boys get sorted out.
Trev.

shakini

TwentyVTurbo,
Not at all. Drive by Wire is in most of the new 1.8Ts, from the end/middle of 2000 onwards. I'd assume its a different timeframe depending on the market its coming from. Basically, there is no Throttle cable on the car. On my (non DBW) engine, you can see a throttle cable across the front of the head of the engine. On the new DBW, the throttle is electronically controlled. Also, another thing I noticed when looking at TurboNut's engine is that the VW logo on the engine cover is blue - on our cars its black!
Hope this explains the differences...
Shakini.

Alex

Technical Support
Mitarbeiter
Administrator
We are working on it ;)
...alex
------------------
Alex
technical support
www.upsolute.com

Alex

Technical Support
Mitarbeiter
Administrator
I guess we have the fix, but we would like to test it on a car local, so it might take a week or so...
thanks for your patience..
...alex
------------------
Alex
technical support
www.upsolute.com

1.8Turbonut

Alex,
It would seem possible that there is more than one cause of surging in our engines. A 4 bar FPR has been suggested as a possible solution. What are your views on this? What is the standard FPR on a 2001 Golf Gti??
Thanks
Jon

Jussa

Turbonut, what is an FPR.....??
I'm sorry, but I'm quite ignorant with all these terms.....LOL.
Cheers.

René

The Fuel pressure Regulator on the Jettas is a 3 bar, changing it to a 4 bar is not recommended, I have done A?F testing a you do not need it in the US on the Jetta. Where I would recommend it is specific to local, if someone was experiencing pinging. THe shudder in most cases goes away on it's own, as the car and throttle adapt. A throttle body adaptation normally clears it as well. This requires a scan tool or vag-com. Some surge is just apparent with the 1.8T, as initial boost builds, it passes specified, and the wastegate opens to correct it. Each car is slightly different with how it reacts, we could do a program that would eliminate this , but power would be reduced as well.