Upsoluting Golf TDI

4motion

Hello to everybody from Finland! (Yes, it's snowing...)
I'm a new member at this forum, but I have been reading thease topics for a while now.
A question for Alex:
I'm thinking about having my Golf Upsoluted soon. I have a 2000 model Golf TDI 4motion (90hp AGR).
I already have a chip from an Italian manufacter, but I'm not very happy with it! :(
1. It vibrates just like LeonTDi110 has told, just when I'm accelerating on 4th or 5th gear, from 1500 rpm to 2500 rpm's and engine makes a horrible "sreek" sound when the vibraton comes...
2. When I accelerate quite normally and shift from 2nd to 3th gear, there is a second or so that I don't feel eny power at all!! After that comes too much boost... It's not very smooth driving... :(
Have you had eny of thease problems on Upsolute chip?
And we also have a Audi A3 1.6 -99 model, is there eny point of chipping it? Will I even feel the difference?
Thanks a lot and sorry for the gramma errors :)
[ 08 February 2002: Message edited by: 4motion ]

Alex

Technical Support
Mitarbeiter
Administrator
Welcome 4motion. Greetings to Finland :D
The problems you have described either can come from a 'bad' programing, or from a defective MAF sensor. I would recommend you to first check out your MAF sensor (eaven if the problem does not accure with the stock chip). If this does not solve the problem, it might be chip related.
The aggressive acceleration you described normally does not accure at chiptuning, it's more likely a 'tuning box' problem. The torque/power should be smooth over the whole RPM band...?
Yes, the A3 can be done, and the power increase is noticeable. It's not like at an TDI or Turbo engine, that you feel a lot stronger punch at the accelerating, but the car/engine will feel a lot more 'free'. I normally explain it like:
You know how your car performs driving it allone on a cold day. And you also know how it performs, with 5 people and full load... After the chip it will perform with 5 people and full load, like it performs now driving allone :D
...alex

4motion

Ok, Thanks Alex.
I think that you just won yourselves a new customer ;)
Back to first question, it's a chip, not a tuning-box what I have on now. It's a kind of "flat spot" after I have shifted to 3rd gear. My friend is working at a vw dealer and we haven't found eny fault codes. But I have a K&N filter...
second question, after chipping the A3, do I have to use higher octane fuel then 95 ??
BTW, this bbs idea is GREAT! :D

GC

Alex, I heard/read about some problems Upsolute had with Finnish emission regulations. What's the current situation? The switchable version will solve this too. :cool:
In other words: when will we get our Up-distributor?? :D
4motion, paljonko pyydät golffin sumuvaloista? ;)

4motion

So 95 it shall be. BTW 95 octane costs about 1€/liter here in Finland!
When are you planning to update Finnish dealer to your lists?
Yep. It's a shame, but we have another Mika coming with Toyota! Mika Salo! Ex-Sauber driver. Exiting to see how that goes!

Alex

Technical Support
Mitarbeiter
Administrator
Sorry, it seems I have overread it...sorry.. The problem is the MAF does not report an error all the time, only if it is 'dead', if the values are just 'weak' the VAG-Com will not report an error.. Maybe you get the chance to test a new MAF? As I mentioned it's possible that the chip is causing this, but I would double check the MAF sensor...
You can stay at your octane level (95 octane), however we recommend to use best octane available for the maximum benefit. It's like feeding a horse better food :D
again sorry for the late reply...
...alex
PS: What will be the Formula One without Mika? I hope he will be back next year ;)

Alex

Technical Support
Mitarbeiter
Administrator
Excuse me guyes, i promise to read more carefully in the future :D
We will update the dealer page verry soon, remember that he is brand new, and we wanted to give him some chance to get used to the work ;)
Wow, one €... and I thought Austria is expensive at the gas prices, but it seems that Finland is eaven more expensive. We have arround €0.80 the liter :(
Yes, yes, yes, Finland and formula one, if one Mika is not driving, you still have anotherone :D I of course know Mika Salo, hasn't he also filled the place for Schumacher as he has his broken leg? It was at the Budapest when as a guy had this banner:
1. Mika
2. Mika
3. who cares?
Toyota will be a verry interesting team, but I guess it will need some years to be on top, but maybe they are good for a surprise?
Anyway, another year without an Austrian driver :(
...alex

4motion

Hi again!
I have my Golf Upsoluted now but for some reason it feels like 90hp version again... :( Possibly becouse the original file was lost form the dealer or something?? He should ask a new one from you guys soon, was it Ali that knows more?
Enyway, I was thinking about this injector issue, does enyone know what kind on injectors I should put in the car? TDi 110Hp possibly?? I have a 90Hp AGR engine.
And if somebody has a Bosch number for the injectors I would be greatful! Do I need a new Upsolute file for the larger injectors?
If somebody has done this larger injectors swap please write some info! Like how's the noise e.t.c after that!
Thanks again!!! :)

Ali

Technical Support
Mitarbeiter
Hi,
Was the power ok, when you got the upsolute chip? Or did you feel no difference from the first day? The file you have should work perfect since it is installed in many other cars. Like Alex told, you should re-check the MAF-sensor. Our experience is, that 9 of 10 TDI's which have no real power gains after the tuning have a faulty MAF-sensor.
bye...

4motion

Hi Ali... So I remembered your name correctly :D
The MAF sensor was replaced day before in VW dealer, I don't think there was eny fault with the old one... My friend works at the dealer so I could replace it just to be sure ;)
So what next? Car feels really lame, like orginal 90Hp version. If I heard right there is two type of files for the same ECU?? :eek:

4motion

Whoop, missed part... Yes, the car felt lame right aftet the chip was installed. I had a chip from an other manufacter and that felt much more powerful, rough but more powerful.
And yes I have driven two different stock 90Hp TDI:s after chip install and my car feels quite the same as stock. :(

René

At the very least get up with your distributor to have him look at codes in the ECU, I would also recommend he check the chip to make sure it's properly flashed.

Alex

Technical Support
Mitarbeiter
Administrator
As Ali and Valois mentioned, the power improvement should be verry noticeable. There are 2 possible problems that can cause your situation. The first one is that the car has a problem. Please check the MAF, and all the turbo tubes, this 2 faults are quite common on the TDIs. The other possible problem is that your distributer has used the wrong file for your car (which usually does not happen). Best solution would be to visit your distributer, he can check out your error codes, and can check the file flashed.
...alex

4motion

Hi Alex!
As I wrote before ( you skipped part of the text again Alex :D ) I have already replaced MAF... Turbo tubes I still have to check out...
So the file I have now should be correct one, thoug the dealer lost the original one?
And have you done eny special program for the larger injectors. :D

4motion

Ok, Alex, Ali, Valois.. Enyone?? :rolleyes:
Turbo, IC, e.t.c hoses are OK.. MAF is replaced... Eny more suggestions?? Please? :)
I'm thinking about putting my car on a dyno.. Just to be sure, but that costs 70€/hour.. :(

Alex

Technical Support
Mitarbeiter
Administrator
First sorry for the late reply.
If all mechanical parts are checked you should put in the stock chip to test the results. We can resent the stock program to your distributer. Also a VAG-Com reading would be fine to find out if there are any error codes in the ECU. This is quite strange!