DTC 17963 w/ BT File

turbowolf

Since installing ATP GT28RS kit with FMIC, 440cc injectors, ATP fuel pump, VR6 MAF Housing, & Manual Boost Controler, the car throws 17963 DTC (Max Charge Pressure Exceeded) and immediately goes into limp mode. (Rene, I know you are waiting for air/fuel charts, you should have them this week) Boost spikes necessitated the MBC which is set at 17 - 20 PSI. Can Upsolute write a file which will eliminate the boost spikes without using a MBC? Or, how do you eliminate the 17963 DTC with the MBC installed? I've got other problems with this car, other DTCs such as 17705, misfire codes, rich codes. Right now the car will not boost much over 12 PSI. (soft limp?) It also surges at idle and is running so rich that the rear of the car becomes covered with soot. I'm just looking for suggestions from anyone who may have similar experiences or who has knowledge of a fix. Thanks.o_O Car is 2001 Jetta AWW, 890 ECU.

DonR

What version are you running?...And please do not use the N75 valve with a turbo like this. The N75 duty cycles cannot handle the wastegate on the RS...I've learnt the hard way with using the Up BT with the N75 on my GT2871R. Spiked to 30 psi and bent a rod.

You may have an older version I believe it is file 890.kx_1_2_22 or 23. The use of the MBC will throw it into limp mode and b/c of that it will run richer than it already is.

Are you familiar with Lemmiwinks?...Some tweaks may hold you over till Rene gets a file to you...

Do you have an adjusable Fuel Pressure regulator?...

turbowolf

Not sure what file it is, although it was installed within the past month, or so. Perhaps Rene will chime in and let us know?!! Yes, N75 is not connected. No, not running adjustable FPR (stock 3 BAR). My thought is that if it were running lean then the Adj. FPR would be needed. But since it's runnig VERY rich would I want to adjust it down below OEM? I'm not familiar w/ lemmiwinks, although I have read about it on these threads. So how, with the MBC, do you get around limp? Does it make sense to run Block 115s for Specified & Actual boost? Thanks!

DonR

The only way you can get around limp mode without the updated file whih includeds the elimination of part throttle overboost is with the use of a diode. I'm sure there is an update for the 890 file so you can use an MBC without any troubles.

Do a search in the www.vwvortex.com under Lemmiwinks the guide that will give a good breakdown about it.

turbowolf

Thanks Don. I downloaded Lemmiwinks last night but have yet had a chance to play with it. The diode you refer to is in relation to the MAP sensor? The car is actually at the tuner as we speak, they should have it on the dyno for specs for Rene. Yes, Rene has stated with updated readings, a new file will be in the works. As you say, this shall hopefully eliminate the DTC 17963 problem?!!?
Just curious, Don, and you may not want to mention this on this forum, but what software are you now running which cured your problems? Thanks again.

turbowolf

Well here we are almost a month later. still car runs bad. With 440cc injectors way too rich. OEM injectors too lean. Rene tells me I have the latest 890 BT file, actually it's the base for all BT files. Next step is to try 380cc injectors? Anyone had any luck with these & BT file? There has to be an answer, somewhere???

DonR

Would you have any AFR logs of what you are experiencing?...Perhaps if you can you can log blocks 115, 031 & 002 with VAG-COM.

turbowolf

Hi Don, yes I will try to get some together when I go down there later today. Actually, we've got 12.5 to 1 A/F at idle. But it goes crazy after that - mid to high end.

scottramsey

warm idle should be stoich (ie 14.7:1) or slightly leaner on oxygenated fuel, you want to see the O2 sensor voltage toggle. Same deal for light cruise. cold start will be richer.

what fuel pressure are you running? Are your MAF and O2 sensors known to be good? did you flow-test your injectors?

log block 2 to get injector duration and MAF. check your fuel trims with vagcom to see if it's indicating a too rich condition (negative trims) for both idle and at partial throttle.

Lots of the guys use an adjustable FPR to fine tune. 3 bar (43.5 psi) is the nominal starting point.

I recently installed our latest "890" file for a client with a very similar setup and the initial tests of the car so far are positive...punching the throttle in 5th gear at 90 mph will light up the tires! I'll have more details soon as far as dyno, AFR, etc.

Every car is a bit different so be patient and conservative with your tuning, you'll get it sorted out.

-Scott

turbowolf

Update: Don't have exact numbers but idle is great. WOT is "good." Still running rich @ mid-range. Power comes on @ just over 4000 rpm to red line. Rene says file is latest, BT 39.
Don, I spoke to Andrew in Toronto. He says you're the guy re: "Lemmiwinks." I'm gonna give the tuner a couple more days with the dyno, see what they come up with. Definite improvement from two days ago, but not quite there. Perhaps Lemmiwinks can help??

turbowolf

Not exactly "solved," but much improvement. O2 had a lot to do with it. As I said, version is latest designed by Andrew in Toronto. The guys here in CT. who are actually doing the tuning have put a lot of time into it on the dyno. I need to get with them and get actual A/F data to give a definitive answer as to the fix. Still rich in mid, though. Will post again.

René

heard from Jophn at My Garage where they were installing his kit that the cat was clogged and replacing it the car runs fine now.