I'm no happy camper

Status
Es sind keine weiteren Antworten möglich.

rgoetz

But if you go back to a stock DV, you'll likely have the same problem fairly quickly.
This is why God made credit cards.
Good luck.

Ganchi

My stock DV only has 5000kms on it. I am definately not going to put on another stock DV.
Ay, my Credit card has laid dormant long enough. I hope to meet Chris soon to get a new DV.
------------------
1999 GTi 1.8T

Upsolute S.A

Guys,
Here is the plan of action - I have E-mailed Ali and asked him to please send me some Bailey DV's along with other stuff, as soon as I get the parcel, I will contact Ganchi, and charge him my cost price for this DV and install it for him to resolve this problem once and for all.
Ganchi - I hope this is acceptable.
Upsolute S.A

Ganchi

Chris, if this solves the problem, I waill be happier than a pig in sh1t.
If not, well.............
I can't wait.
------------------
1999 GTi 1.8T

Upsolute S.A

Hi there,
Ganchi's DV has now been installed and running for over a week. The surging was clearly solved! :)
BUT...
Ganchi then developed a small hole in the exhaust pipe just before the rear box - this was welded up yesterday morning, and on his way to work the surging started once more!?
Ganchi went to VW S.A and they said that there was a problem with the knock sensor - it was apparently working overtime!
When they pulled out the spark plugs, they looked like they had 100 000km/s on them they were SHOT!.
The car is going in today for the replacement of the plugs.
Now please could you clarify a few things for me.
1) Will the chip prematurely wear the spark plugs?
2) Will the settings on the chip cause the knock sensor to work overtime? Will this damage anything?
3) Will the worn spark plugs be the cause of the surging again?
Please help - as this is now urgent.
Thanks
Upsolute S.A

René

Wow, the fuel must be really bad there! THis is only a .8 bar program, the reason why we decided on that level of boost was to account for substandard fuel ....somewhat. He needs to change the plugs to one range cooler, change his fuel supplier to the best he can find, if fuel is that bad there, you will be having some poor mileage even with stock cars. You are probably going to have to recommend that the South African clients change their fuel pressure regulators to 4 bar units Chris. Get some more fuel in there.
------------------

Upsolute S.A

Valois,
The fuel is 93 octane unleaded - the consumption is very good too. Remember there are four Upsoluted 1.8T's running around including an Audi S3 and a Passat 1.8T and an Audi A31.8t and a Golf 4 GTI 1.8T (this is the car in question here.) None of the others are having any problems at all....??!!
What I need to know is the following:
1) Will the chip prematurely wear the spark plugs?
2) Will the settings on the chip cause the knock sensor to work overtime? Will this damage anything?
3) Will the worn spark plugs be the cause of the surging again?
I need to sort this out - Please comment on the above questions.
Thanks
Upsolute S.A

René

It is not normal for the knock sensor to be online all the time, the plugs should not be that affected, he has not been modified for long, this sounds like a pre-existing condition, He is running too lean, put an exhaust analyser on it and check it, put a cooler range of plugs in, do a throttle body adaptation on it as well.

Ganchi

Firstly, this was not a pre-existing condition. This is DEFINITE.
The fuel must be bad, cause I am using the best I can get. I did experince slight pinging with another brand, so I changed. No way I am using octane boosters.
I've just had the plugs changed, so doing this again is OUT of the question.
The exhaust doesn't seem to be able to handle the extra ooomph. I was constantly driving around with the window down, listening to the nice sound of the turbo spooling and also checking the pinging. When I put the window up (cause it started becomming colder here), I heard the exhaust leaking. In hotter temps, which we get in Summer, I'll definately have a problem. Its +-20 Celcius now. In Summer it hits 30 Celcius quite often. Things did get smoother with the Forge, but then the exhaust was leaking. I've had it welded closed, then a complete new piece fitted by the agents. They also asked for my Stock DV back, as they felt anything was worth a try.
At the moment I am without my car. The agents worked on it from 7:30 in the morning to the end of the day, with me battling them constantly. They now have decided to keep my car untill next week Wednesday, to have a factory rep look at it.
At this point I AM OUT.
First I had a problem with the chip movement, then with the surging, now with the exhaust/spark plugs/knocking/surging (whichever it is). All this, and it does not make the output of 141Kw. Quite far off actually. So, obviously something is wrong. Sorry but three strikes, and its outta there.
When I have more cash, and the car is closer to warranty expiry, I will do a PROPER job. I'll probably take your guys K04 Kit, with 3" downpipe, cooler plugs and better FPR.
For now, its back to stock for me.
As it stands now, I don't have my car. I have to scheme to get it out of the dealers to put the stock chip back in, BEFORE the factory rep has a look at it. I am doing WAY too much running around, which I cannot afford. I have too much work comming my way.
Chris's service is great, and he has helped all he can. But its time to call it quits.
Chris, I'm not going to dilly dally with this anymore. Its time to go back to stock (if I can get the car from the dealer), and hope the factory rep is not called in.
Thanx anyhow guys.
------------------
1999 GTi 1.8T

Ganchi

One more thing, the other cars are not the same as mine.
The Passat is at the coast and is using 95 Octane, the one Audi is from Kimberley???, the S3 is probably a different story, as the S3 does have a different FPR, exhaust and what ever else.
Just by the way suggesstions.
I've got WAY more on my hands than I bargained for. My mind is made up, I'm OUT.
------------------
1999 GTi 1.8T

Upsolute S.A

Ganchi,
I must appologise for the experience you have had, I have called Ali yesterday evening and spoke with him - it seems that there is another car in Germany with the same ECU number as yours that also experienced a slight hickup with the chip - Alex wrote a new chip for the car and the problem is now solved and the customer is happy.
I would like to propose that I first speak with Alex and arrange to re-write the chip for you and install this for free. When the Dual-Chip system is launched - I will install this for you at cost aswell. Alex please expressyour feelings on this.
As for installation - I will drive out to you in Vereeniging and come do the install at your home once I get the re-written chip. By this time I should also have the VAG COM computer to test all fault codes with and to confirm that the issues have been sorted out once and for all.
Please reconsider this offer from us as a token of our appreciation for your patience.
For now until I get the new chip - I'd suggest going back to stock.
Thanks again
Upsolute S.A

Ganchi

No go Chris. At the moment I can't get my car out of the dealer.
I have spoken to Vincent, asked him to take the car out for a test drive and come to see me. I will then have to switch the chips. He will then take the car back. This kind of underhand stuff is making me very nervous.
I appreciate the offer, but the fact that a new programme needs writing, DIRECTLY IMPLIES that the faulty programme should not have been used. Who knows what wear the engine/knock sensor etc. went through. I have over-exposed myself here.
When you do get the VAG, I would still like your help in checking out the ECU's memory, if I can convince the dealer that the car is fine (after replacing the stock chip), so that the factory rep does not get called in.
------------------
1999 GTi 1.8T

Upsolute S.A

Ganchi,
I understand - I will let you know as soon as I get the VAG COM system from Valois.
Please let me know what the outcome is once the standard chip is replaced.
Upsolute S.A

Alex

Technical Support
Mitarbeiter
Administrator
Sorry to hear that the DV has not totally fixed the problem ;)
The bad news is, that the Version Chris got is the one, that solved the problems for the German car. So the version that is in the car right now works verry fine in the German car, without problems at all. I'm sorry for this 'misunderstanding' between Ali and Chris. About the problems, as Valois already explained this effects are all not normal. The spark plugs should not wear out that fast. Maybe it's really deticated to the fuel quality (since the knock sensor is having a lot to do). Ganchi I can fully understand your situation and we are verry sorry for the troubles you got...
....alex
------------------
Alex
technical support
www.upsolute.com

Ganchi

Thanx Alex. I kept telling Chris that the power was awesome. Just that something is not right. My car is still relatively new, so I don't want to go through all this trouble shooting.
In 2002 I plan on a proper setup. K04, 3" Downpipe, 5Bar FPR, etc.
I just hope I can get the chip swapped. The dealer is being very hard@ss about me taking the car back. I suppose they are afraid something will go wrong. They are trying to sort the problem out though, so I can't be too hard on them.

------------------
1999 GTi 1.8T

Alex

Technical Support
Mitarbeiter
Administrator
Thanks Ganchi, I really can understand your situation and would maybe react the same way. We all know that our car is our baby ;)
As Chis might told you the problem is only on this model, since the ECU is slightly different to the newer models. We will find a solution for South Africa (for this car) and once it's 100% working (without that side effects) we would be happy if you give us a 2nd chance. I really apreciate your comments and you are of course verry welcome to the K04 upgrade next year :)
...alex
------------------
Alex
technical support
www.upsolute.com

Upsolute S.A

Hi all,
Some new info on this - I recently Upsoluted another Golf 4GTI - it was a 2001 model! This GTI had the EXACT same ECU number as Ganchi's - I used your EXACT same tuned file and wrote a chip for this 2001 model GTI and tested this baby with 100% success!!
This baby made 101KW and 218NM at the wheels UNCORRECTED power!
Ganchi - I seriously believe that there might be other issues with your GTI (maybe a faulty knock sensor etc) as this ECU and car was IDENTICAL to yours and the model (year) of the car makes no difference at all. The onlt difference is that the car was newer than yours and only had 18000km's on the clock.
I hope this gives you more information.
Regards,
Upsolute S.A

Ganchi

Chris, you really need to speak to Valois, Alex and Ali about all this.
They have said a number of times that NOT ALL cars will react the same.
Just because my car did not react well (which you still refuse to believe), does not mean there is something wrong with my car all of a sudden.
There are many people INTERNATIONALLY experiencing surging/pinging etc. There are also MANY more that have NO problems.
The difference is: Valois, Garretp and all the UP distributors HELP their customers and NOT call them LIARS (indirectly) or refuse to believe them.
All these UP distributors will tell you the importance of doing a TBA with the VAG, which you still refuse to believe.
ALL these tuners will tell you that a car CAN ping when temps go higher, which you still refuse to believe.
I have tried explaining everything to you, but it seems to irritate you. Tell me please, what possible reason do I have to bring UP into distrepute? What would I gain from that?
I was the happiest when you decided to bring UP to SA.
In any case, I did offer to prove to you that all was not well with MY UP chip. You have chosen to avoid the issue instead.
I see NO point inarguing further, so I am busy with alternative arrangements. 87Kwish.
BTW. Is my car DBW or not? That is the difference between 2001 and 1999.
------------------
1999 GTi 1.8T

Status
Es sind keine weiteren Antworten möglich.