question for Alex - Getting some pinging

AceConrad

Originally posted by bciesq:
Ace-
My plugs are still on back order. :eek:
Last I heard they should arrive this week.
Ben
Ben, did you get your plugs in yet?
I found a place locally that has the Beru UFX56 which I think are the ones you are getting. I'm still trying to find a place that has the Bosch FR5DTCs. I figure I'll try the cooler plugs first before springing for a 5 bar FPR.
Know anyone who wants a set of slightly used Beru UFX79s? :rolleyes:

bciesq

Well I just installed some cooler plugs this morning, and I am glad to say that they have really cut down on the pinging.
I went out on a thirty-mile drive and really pushed the car. No pinging at all in 1st and 2nd, and only the slighted ping in 3rd at WOT. BTW, temps were already in the 80s down here in southwest FLA when I did this. I'll run the car hard again this afternoon and see what happens.
Keep your fingers crossed.
Ben

René

Ben good to hear that the plugs are helping, can you describe your set you took out, what color were they, and also post a picture if possible. Thanks.

bciesq

Originally posted by valois:
Ben good to hear that the plugs are helping, can you describe your set you took out, what color were they, and also post a picture if possible. Thanks.
Someone has my ditigal camera, but I'll try to get pics for you. They really didn't look all that different from the original set that lasted 40K (the set I pulled had 15K on them - both of these sets were OEM Bosch supers). In other words, the pinging wasn't so severe or constant that it ruined the plugs in short order.
Of course, I have only been chipped for the last 8,000 and only a few thousand of that was under the more aggressive program.
This morning I had a chance to do a couple of 1st and 2nd gear runs and there was no pinging. Unfortunately, I didn't have an opportunity to do a 3rd gear run.
Ben

AceConrad

I thought I would try one more thing before buying new plugs. I bought a can of injector cleaner and added it to a full tank of gas. As I was geting near the end of that tank it seemed as if the pinging was reduced. I filled up with a new tank and was driving around one night two weeks ago when it was really hot here (33 degrees C). I tried a few runs from stop lights at WOT and the pinging was gone! Great! Unfortunately ten minutes later my turbo quit working and I had no boost at all. Now I'm thinking that my turbo was starting to fail and thats why the pinging stopped. I'm at the dealer tomorrow to get a new turbo installed so lets see what happens after everything is all fixed up!

René

Ace, let us know how your car runs when you get it back with the new turbo, if the wastegate actuator is weak it's going to alter the duty cycle of the closing on it, this will tend to push boost up and without the charge pressure control sensor on these models there is no feedback to compensate it. If this is the case then it may indicate that the wastegate on these three cars is weak or slighly misadjusted. SO far we have done at least 20 of these models without any other occurance of pinging reported, we are informing prospective clients of these 3 cases and indicating that they need to monitor their car for this, we also offer as an option a less aggressive file, I believe that it may be possible to adjust the wastegate to increase opening on the actuator, but am loath to recommend this to someone that may not be mechanically astute.

duandcc

Rene,
Over the weekend, I installed a set of Bosch Supers in 1 range cooler than stock. The temp. was 83 degrees with moderate humidity. Even after the new plugs, I am still getting some pinging. First seems OK, but with the increase in power, you're only in first for a second or wto. There is pinging in 2nd through 5th around the 3,000-4,000 RPM range. If it will help with troubleshooting, I can send you one of my stock plugs so you can see what it looks like. The plugs were installed at the same time I got the new version of the chip. If we can't resolve the poinging, is there a possibility of getting a SLIGHTLY detuned chip? Not the first one I had, it made NO increase in power.
So any thoughts?

bciesq

Well I was going to hold off on positing this until after some more testing, but before ddandcc gets a new file I would make this suggestion: clean the MAF. I cleaned mine this weekend and so far so good. I'll take the car out this afternoon for some spirited driving and report back.
For the record, I have not added the 5 bar fpr (yet). I have cooler plugs and a clean MAF and that's it.
Oh, and anyone who is planning on working on their MAF, be very careful and take your time. The MAF is very delicate.
Email me if you want detailed instructions on the cleaning prodecure I used.
Ben

AceConrad

Good catch Ben, let us know if the fix holds up under further testing. I assume that you replaced the plugs first and still had pinging?
I'm still stock after getting my turbo replaced but if the pinging starts again after being re-Upsoluted I'm leaning towards asking for a slightly de-tuned version as well.

bciesq

Originally posted by AceConrad:
I assume that you replaced the plugs first and still had pinging?
Yep. The cooler plugs helped, but third gear and higher is still a problem at WOT.
Hopefully, the MAF will prove to be the key as to why the pinging is so selective with this program. My theory is that since our older nonDBW motors don't have a MAP sensor to fall back on, that a dirty MAF can cause the whole A/F equation to be off. We'll see.
Ben
PS Valois, I can understand if you don't want to encourage us to clean our MAF given how fragile they are, but if you think that I am barking up the wrong tree, please feel free to correct me. Thanks.

duandcc

Well, I too have replaced the plus with 1 range cooler and still ping. I only ping once the engine gets good and hot and only at WOT between 3,000 and 3,400 RPM. :eek: I really hope a good MAF cleaning works as I am beginning to get a bit frustrated...

René

I do believe that it applies. I wanted to see if anyone had any counter points to that post. I also have been waiting to see what happens when Ace gets the modified program put back on now that he has a brand spanking new turbo. If he does not see detonation then it's indicative (at least in his case of the problem) ( weak turbo actuator, as it was what failed on his) I added the following note , that I would not do this without a boost guage , and only after check the other things I mentioned. That said there are tons of people that have played with their actuators on the TDI club, and they were going in the opposite dirrection :eek: trying to get more boost and response. THis is dangerous. as it causes the turbo to spool in the Surge line of the compressor MAP, I see no negatives in going in the oposite direction.

bciesq

Point taken re: checking for leaks around the solonoid and verifying the boost before and after via a reliable boost gauge.
Just so I am clear, when you say "tighten the linkage on the wastegate actuator" are we dealing with a "righty tighty lefty loosy" situation? Also, how much of a turn are we looking at? Quarter turn? Half turn?
Thanks again for helping.
Ben