Update: Revised VR6 file with Pipercross Viper

Knockwurst

Alex, Rene -
So far so good on the revised VR6 file with the Pipercross Viper. It seems to pull harder at 4K than with the previous chip. My fuel economy has remained consistent as well at 25 – 27 in the city and 27 – 30 on the highway. On Sunday Rene cleared the CEL: running lean intermittently and secondary air flow disruption. No CELs to report, but I’m beginning to question a correlation between the secondary air flow error and the brief whistle under marginal and WOT. I’m relocating the air pump filter away from the engine as I have noticed that the filter becomes rather hot. Again, many thanks :D

ROCKRLR

Glad to hear everything seems to be OK with the Update. I dont hear the 'whistle', the codes I get are running too lean and too rich. The too rich i think has to do with the ECU trying to correct the lean condition while I upshift or decelerate.
Rene/Alex,
What about the Viper in a stock VR6? Some asked in the VWVortex about it.

Knockwurst

ROCKRLR,
You don’t hear the whistle . . . if it isn’t the secondary air pump, maybe I have leak somewhere near the intake. Well, I know for sure that you’ll enjoy this new file . . . pulls like a MF'er :D

René

Christian, thanks for the update, I believe I am going to recommend that this filter (air pump breather ) be located to the front of the engine compartment from now on, I have done some 1.8T's and this is where it was put, and we have not seen problems.

ROCKRLR

Originally posted by Knockwurst:
ROCKRLR,
You don’t hear the whistle
Guess what? I heard the whistle! I closed my windows, turned off the stereo and paid close attention. Yeap it is there! Very faint, barely audible. Actually, it is not a whistle but a hiss. It is not air being expelled a la BOV, but a hiss from the air rushing in. Let the rev low 4K RPM, and either stomp on the gas (lasts less than a sec) or give partial throttle (can hold the sound for 2-4 seconds!).
[ 07 November 2001: Message edited by: ROCKRLR ]

René

Yes there is a viper for the 1.8T and to extract maximum benefit it will require a file tuned for it. Alex is working on the file now.

René

We can do the 2.0 as well. The file changes would be similar to the VR6. I do not know what their gains would be. I would not mind having Jim dyno one.

ROCKRLR

**valois**
Yeah, both being NA engines they should behave similarly so the same kind of correction should apply. If I learn of someone in Fla. wanting to try the Viper on a 2.0 I will send him in Jim's way. BTW, there is going to be a VW/Audi Get Together on December 1st in Fort Lauderdale, make sure Jim has a couple of the Vipers on hand.
**Knockwurst**
Update in the new file?

Knockwurst

Damn . . . 225 miles on the revised file and I got a CEL. Again, same story as last Saturday - the car was running sluggish and the exhaust note had changed. Unfortunately I lent my sister the laptop, so I’ll have to diagnose the DTC on Saturday . . . crap :(

ROCKRLR

Is swearing allowed in this board?
Alex,valois: What modification was done to the regular VR6 file? It gives more gas at higher RPMs, isnt it? The regular file runs richer at higher RPMs to start with, so what if the problem is at lower RPMs? I get some mild hesitation below 4000 RPMs and it runs like a beast on the top end.
Can we help you out by logging data with our VAGCOMs, and if so, what datablocks should we look for?

Knockwurst

ROCKRLR – that’s the same question I had . . . what is the difference between the plain jane VR6 chip and the revised chip/Viper combo? Is it adding more fuel at a particular point, REV, or speed? I’d like to help any way possible; I’m just trying to understand where Alex is tweaking the file. First, I have to read the codes to see if the secondary air flow crap is happening again or if it’s a lean condition. My situation may be unique . . . let me know what I can do. By the way, just fired up the motor and took her for a spin . . . running strong as ever :D

ROCKRLR

Last nite I went to one of the local dub hangouts and I took two guys with me for a short expressway spin. They were like "GODDAMN! You are running lean?" They were impressed with the car pull. One of them is going Upsolute for sure, WE Jetta. They other guy has an auto VR6 and hasnt made his mind about chipping yet. They told me about a BBQ at Jim's next Saturday. If you come up with a new file, I will take the road trip to Land'o'Lakes for the BBQ.
A couple of weeks ago, I went back to stock airbox and the car did not give any codes with it. So MAF and O2 sensors are working. There is something about the amount of air coming in at certain speeds/rpms that the ECU doesnt like.

René

Clear the code, relocate the breather and we will see if it comes back try to remark at what RPM, if you do run a dyno have them do a A/F ratio, we will produce a new file for it.