Upsolute in the UK

MikeM

Alex,
Can I get the chip supplied and fitted in the UK? If so contact details etc. would be much appreciated.
Mike

Alex

Technical Support
Mitarbeiter
Administrator
We are currently working this out, we have found a partner, and he has got already a 'demo' chip from us. Further things needed to be verified. I guess he will be availabe within the next 2 weeks... ;)
...alex
------------------
Alex
technical support
www.upsolute.com

MikeM

Thanks Alex,
I'll look forward to further - and I hope good - news on that. Mind you, for reasons you can imagine ... if only I could find some excuse to drive all the way down to you in Austria ... sigh ... if only!
Best wishes,
Mike

M1KES

So where in the UK is your new partner based Alex? You do know that you need an agent in Scotland, don't you?
Slainte
Mike
Epsilonian Liaison to the Commonwealth
[This message has been edited by M1KES (edited 11-01-2000).]

MikeM

Hi Alex,
Any further news about a UK supplier?
Also, does the installation need/get dynamic rolling road testing as part of the installation?
Mike
Exeter, UK

Alex

Technical Support
Mitarbeiter
Administrator
Sorry no news....no a rolling road dynometer is not needed, we have one (for developing the chips) for reselling it's not needed...
...alex
------------------
Alex
technical support
www.upsolute.com

shakini

Alex,
Any word on the UK situation with the Upsolute chips for the 1.8T? I've got about 4 people, all with 1.8Ts who may be interested! If not - then would it be possible for me to bring the car up to Austria? My granparents live in Salzburg! A good excuse to drive all the way up there and get the chip done!
Please let us know, as I imagine there would be a lot of people here in the UK that would want to be upsoluted!
SHAKINI.

shakini

Alex,
Hello! If there is not going to be a solution for getting 'UPSOLUTED' in the UK any time soon, then how much would it be if we removed and sent you our ECU? What would the downtime be i.e. how long would our cars be out of action whilst we send off the ECU, you chip it, then send it back? I am talking about the Golf 1.8T rechip...
Regards,
Shakini.

TDI-Wai

Dear Alex,
Have you got your uk supplier up and running yet? I heard from a friend that you will be running in the next month. Is this true?
I hope that you will cater for the folks up in Scotland as there is an abundance of tdi drivers and the market would be good to you. I am dying to get a chip into my 1.9TDI 110.
Is it at all possible to have the chip sent over and self installed as I heard that if the socket in the ecu was compatible that it would just be a matter of plugging the new chip in. Is this the case? Thanks.
Wai

Alex

Technical Support
Mitarbeiter
Administrator
Discussions are in the final statium, so I guess (and hope) it will be up and running soon....
I'll keep you informed...
...alex
------------------
Alex
technical support
www.upsolute.com

1.8Turbonut

'The chip can not be dedected at diagnostic works on your car. There is only a socket installed into the ECU, that’s all.'
This is the situation apparently (from the horses mouth). I'm thinking that means no flashing, and a 'visibly' altered ECU.
I'm now worried about the warranty issue.

TDI-Wai

to anyone who does not want to wait for the uk supplier to get online and running. I have been told buy upsolete that if you send your entire ecu unit to them (minus the housing)it will cost £220 for them to socket,chip and send back via ups to your door in 4-5 days. That is what I am going to do. As for the warranty issue, all chips can be easily swapped back with the originals and the upsolete one's behave as normal under the VAG hook up anyway. What they don't know wont hurt them and if the ECU is reporting back to them as it should there is no need for them to open it up and have a look!! I can only think of the advantages.

TDI-Wai

to anyone who does not want to wait for the uk supplier to get online and running. I have been told buy upsolete that if you send your entire ecu unit to them (minus the housing)it will cost £220 for them to socket,chip and send back via ups to your door in 4-5 days. That is what I am going to do. As for the warranty issue, all chips can be easily swapped back with the originals and the upsolete one's behave as normal under the VAG hook up anyway. What they don't know wont hurt them and if the ECU is reporting back to them as it should there is no need for them to open it up and have a look!! I can only think of the advantages.

MikeM

I think Alex may also ask you to first take out the ECU and check the chip serial number(s)for him. This can be the case for new car models and also in case of variations to the ECU/chip characteristics in the early stages of a car models development. For example, this is the case with the '94-96 B4 Passat TDIds.
WQhatever, no doubt Alex will carefully explain to prospective purchesers what info he needs from them before proceeding.
MikeM

leon20VT

Are you doing this like now TDI-Wai or in a couple of weeks?
Alex, give me more info -
where do I send it?
where is the ecu board on my Leon 20VT?
have you done any Leons yet? Graphs?

Alex

Technical Support
Mitarbeiter
Administrator
First of all to the discussion about the flashing and the socket.
We can do it either way ;)
The advandage of the socket is (and that's why some customers prefer it) is that the original chip can be put in by you without do any soldering. But they see the socket if they open the ECU. Ok, but if there is the original chip in, what do they know? They can imagine...yes, but they do not know anything? And for sure they can not proof anything.
We mainly use sockets since we (here in Austria) would need to pay more taxes if the car has more power. The insurance and the taxes are calculated out of the power. So the customer feels saver if he can, in case of an emergency, put in the original chip himselve.
The reflashing is some kind of cleaner (and that's why our US distributers are using that method) since it can eaven not dedected if you open the ECU. The other advantage is that the socket is of course an additional device and can produce errors, especially with key systems. (We do not use them). Key systems are additinal devices put between the chip and the ECU to protect the chip from beeing read by a programmer (to steal the software). At the PLCC system fe. the key is about 30mm high compared to the chip allone is only about 3mm high. You can imagine that the 30mm 'tower' has much more forces to the mainboard than the 3mm high chip (which has nearly zero force compared to the tower) especially in a car where you get nearly all kind of vibrations. This combined with a socked can (not must) cause bad connections and as result an ECU fault. So reflashing is much way safer, since the ECU is like original, and will never cause an error out of the modification ;)
So I would say the method 2 methods
- with sockets, but without keys
- reflashing (and without key or course)
are nearly the same from the reliability point of view. But each way has it's advantage....

...alex
------------------
Alex
technical support
www.upsolute.com

Alex

Technical Support
Mitarbeiter
Administrator
Forgot to answer the question about the Leon. The ECU is located under the wiper. In the middle below the plastic shield...like at the GolfIV and the Audi A3...
...alex
------------------
Alex
technical support
www.upsolute.com

Alex

Technical Support
Mitarbeiter
Administrator
No, we have not done the Leon 1.8 20V, but however we have done some other 20Vs like the Toledo 20V.... I'll try to scan the power curves...
...alex
------------------
Alex
technical support
www.upsolute.com