DTC 17963 w/ BT File

DonR

Try these settings..

Increasing loads tweak will richen your AFR proportional to increasing load of the motor over RPM. (Acceleration/Throttle Response/WOT)

Decreasing Loads is the same except it works coming off throttle over rpm. (Backfiring)

Lamda Regulation increases the O2 sampling period for more feedback to the ECU (Quicker Adaptation)

turbowolf

Try these settings..

Increasing loads tweak will richen your AFR proportional to increasing load of the motor over RPM. (Acceleration/Throttle Response/WOT)

Decreasing Loads is the same except it works coming off throttle over rpm. (Backfiring)

Lamda Regulation increases the O2 sampling period for more feedback to the ECU (Quicker Adaptation)

Understood. :) How important is it to "zero" the ECU between settings? It will "learn" regardless, no? I did not clear the ECU last night when I set ch 2 to 115%. But did drive it for about 15 miles. Thought I would try that today - as well as your settings. Also, are there any timing adjustments you played with in your "trials." ;)

DonR

Since these are adaptation offsets I believe the ECU will not adapt them out. Regarding the timing offset, I was able to play around with it but seeing that your timing is already high and pulling timing the only offset I'd recommend you play with is reducing the timing offset...as required.

turbowolf

OK, Set ECU w/ Lemmiwinks as described above. Went out for a drive, very partial throttle up a hill Cat Temp (Block 034) started to climb very quick. Went over 525 degrees and was still climbing. (Non OEM Cat) I've never seen the cat temp climb that quick or to that high a temp. :confused:
(for what it's worth block 033 pre cat reg +25, pre cat v +1.5 with partial throttle)

turbowolf

OK, Set ECU w/ Lemmiwinks as described above. Went out for a drive, very partial throttle up a hill Cat Temp (Block 034) started to climb very quick. Went over 525 degrees and was still climbing. (Non OEM Cat) I've never seen the cat temp climb that quick or to that high a temp. :confused:
(for what it's worth block 033 pre cat reg +25, pre cat v +1.5 with partial throttle)

[/QUOTE]

As a follow up: prior to the adjustments to ch 3 & 6, & with ch2 increased to 115%, the cat temp did not rise so high. I can't understand how lowering ch 3 would cause this, so what is it about the increase to ch 6 that would cause such a dramatic increase in temp? Am I wrong about this? To me, high exhaust temps = LEAN.

scottramsey

500C is not very hot for exhaust temps, although you should probably add 100C to this number to approximate the pre-turbo temps. IIRC you want to stay below 800 C or so pre-turbo (~1470F) so you don't want the vagcom block 33 number to exceed probably ~700C. This is a rough guess, the upper limit *could* be a little higher.

Heat is good and bad..heat = energy = turbo spool...too much = turbo damage :eek:

scottramsey

As a follow up: prior to the adjustments to ch 3 & 6, & with ch2 increased to 115%, the cat temp did not rise so high. I can't understand how lowering ch 3 would cause this, so what is it about the increase to ch 6 that would cause such a dramatic increase in temp? Am I wrong about this? To me, high exhaust temps = LEAN.

[/QUOTE]

pre-cat v of 1.5V sounds good for partial throttle this is ~ lambda = 1, which is correct for cruise. +25 on the STFT trim seems a bit high. what is block 32 up to? if you were'nt gettting backfires on throttle lift I'd say maybe leave the decel trim alone. (ie at 100%)

turbowolf

Good info, Scott. Gonna check @ WOT see what cat temp is up to.
Just took it for a long ride, let the ECU do it's thing after tweaking w/ Lemmiwinks. All I can say is :). Seems very much smoother, NO backfires, NO codes, NO more surge! I'd guess about 10 - 20 more HP, but of course that is very rough estimate. Seems like a "winner," Don. Gonna run some blocks as requested. I'd like to get it back on the dyno, perhaps next week if Rene will come through with the "Venom" intake. The high cat temps do worry me, maybe I should install a gauge!??! I still am not passing sec. air & evap readiness. Also cat converter, but that is understandable. I'll never pass emissions!!

DonR

I'm glad it's better..tho need not worry about the cat temps. Catylists are designed to get hot with the reaction of exhaust gases. Take into consideration that you are releasing more exhaust and at a richer mixture.

turbowolf

Scott, per your suggestion, I increased Decreasing Loads (ch3) to 100%. Still no backfires.
What do you think Don? Seems to run OK except that it surges at 3600 - 3800 rpm, partial throttle, most noticeable in second & third gears. Does not smooth out until 4800 rpm. Again, ONLY at partial throttle! It was doing this before increase of ch3.
Scott, I'll have some logs for you tomorrow. This surge is driving me crazy, though.
Still throws 17963 DTC so I'm gonna install a diode. Still 17705, pressure drop. One thing that is still installed from old set-up is the diverter valve. I was getting the 17705 DTC before new turbo, etc, but not as often as I do now. Perhaps I should try a new/different D.V. o_O

Turbo Bora

I have been following this topic for a while now great write up for all those people who need information on how to do it.

Turbowolf,
What type of DV are you using right now? I have one of the Hyperboost Stratmospheres in stock and can not seem to get rid of it.

turbowolf

I'm using an EVO diverter valve right now. I have used Forge, they all seem pretty much the same.
Yea, these guys have taught me a lot!

turbowolf

Don, I've got a question regarding "start up & warm up fuel tweaks. Right now on cold start up ( after sitting over night ) I get a lot of crap out the exhaust. (soot, etc.) It's like with some of the older cars when the injectors would bleed down overnight causing a "loaded up" situation. The motor runs really rough on cold start until, it seems, secondary air cuts off? How does decreasing values w/ Lemmiwinks for start up & warm up effect A/F on start? I do have a problem with secondary air as it will not pass readiness. Other than this, if you've looked at the logs I sent you, it looks pretty good.?? ;) Thanks.

DonR

Will, had a chance to look at your logs and it still seems to pull 12* of timing...thus having an overall timing advance of 8-9* still seems a little low with the correction factor. I hope Upsolute can come around to writing you another file..b/c riding on 12* of timing pull doesn't give much room for any other safety measures.

Also, what you need to keep in mind is that running rich increases cyl pressure coupled with high timing gives you power but throw some miscalculations with some bad gas or higher boost...be sure to begin looking for some upgrades.

What plugs are you using?