DTC 17963 w/ BT File

turbowolf

Will, had a chance to look at your logs and it still seems to pull 12* of timing...thus having an overall timing advance of 8-9* still seems a little low with the correction factor. I hope Upsolute can come around to writing you another file..b/c riding on 12* of timing pull doesn't give much room for any other safety measures.

Also, what you need to keep in mind is that running rich increases cyl pressure coupled with high timing gives you power but throw some miscalculations with some bad gas or higher boost...be sure to begin looking for some upgrades.

What plugs are you using?

Don, plugs are NGK BKR7E.
I'm beging to think that this is totally not working out with Upsolute as there has been no response of late. I'm going to write to Rene again, see what he has to offer. ;)

27psiBoom

the new file should have more spec boost and less fueling uptop, that should correct timing retard numbers and will increase timing advance for more power

turbowolf

the new file should have more spec boost and less fueling uptop, that should correct timing retard numbers and will increase timing advance for more power

That makes sense to me. As it is that I'm throwing DTC 17963 (charge pressure max exceeded) every time I merge onto the highway. Not a WOT either. But decreasing fuel pressure to 40psi and adjusting increasing & decreasing loads & Lambda Regulation with Lemmiwinks helped a lot. It's not running as rich as it was, I believe. But I think I'm going to install a VC2 Voltage Clamp on the MAP sensor unless anyone knows a reason why I shouldn't.
One other thing, more than one person has mentioned running the car without the MAF sensor plugged in. I tried that a while back before new turbo and the car would not run. Stalled every time I came to a stop. What's the deal with no MAF?

René

THe boost clamp will correct the overboost codes, or should, I am just waiting for some logs with the venom filter so we can knock out mixture and timing issues with 1 file hopefully. Rene

scottramsey

Scott, per your suggestion, I increased Decreasing Loads (ch3) to 100%. Still no backfires.
What do you think Don? Seems to run OK except that it surges at 3600 - 3800 rpm, partial throttle, most noticeable in second & third gears. Does not smooth out until 4800 rpm. Again, ONLY at partial throttle! It was doing this before increase of ch3.
Scott, I'll have some logs for you tomorrow. This surge is driving me crazy, though.
Still throws 17963 DTC so I'm gonna install a diode. Still 17705, pressure drop. One thing that is still installed from old set-up is the diverter valve. I was getting the 17705 DTC before new turbo, etc, but not as often as I do now. Perhaps I should try a new/different D.V. o_O

here is the plot of block 31 with your lemmiwinks settings as compared to the standard settings at WOT:

looks like it is now trying for more fuel in open loop...makes sense if you've increased the "increasing loads" trim. I haven't seen a lot of solid info on how/when this trim actually takes affect, but it seems that once the turbo spools is when it kicks in...biggest change in load.

Not sure how it is affecting your part-throttle operation, from what I,ve seen the ECU wants lambda = 1 at part throttle. at intial tip-in of the gas there is an enrichment function, this should be affected by this trim, you could try some logs to test this out..(block 2/31 again, block 5 shows operating mode.) from what I've seen testing my own car the "enrich" is just enough to maintain lambda = .99-1. increasing the twek might make this go richer. Gotta test it myself.

IMO at this point this is all best-fixed by the file revision, I'd say at this point leave lemmiwinks alone and wait for Rene to come through with a revised file.

The VC2 is a good unit, it is an active circuit vs. passive (aka diode) so it will have a nicer response. plus you can adjust hte clamp-voltage point. goal would be to use the highest clamp voltage that keeps the code away.

Did you ever try lower boost levels testing?

turbowolf

THe boost clamp will correct the overboost codes, or should, I am just waiting for some logs with the venom filter so we can knock out mixture and timing issues with 1 file hopefully. Rene

Yes, Hope so! Venom has not arrived as of yet. I spoke with John @ "My Garage" yesterday about dyno time. May take two weeks to get on it. I may try another spot with a dyno if i can get sooner.
Nice work, as always Scott. Been under the weather today, but I'm going to set boost down to 18 psi and see how it goes. Should do this tomorrow. Thanks, all!

turbowolf

Got "Venom" intake from Rene yesterday. (Thanks again Rene) Need now to wait for available time on dyno. Also, set boost down to 18 psi. So far, no more 17963 DTC(max boost exceeded)! Keeping my fingers crossed. Also no 17705 DTC (charge pressure drop between turbo & throttle body) lately, discovered a slight leak in one of the hoses. Get some numbers to Rene and hopefully a revised file and I should be good to go!! ;)

27psiBoom

is it possible that you sent me the logs from your last runs?, if it is possible I'd like to see the next logs on a 3rd gear roll at WOT till redline.

- Block 001
- Block 002
- Block 020
- Block 115
- Block 032 (at idle)

What's the block number for O2 signal requested vs actual?

turbowolf

is it possible that you sent me the logs from your last runs?, if it is possible I'd like to see the next logs on a 3rd gear roll at WOT till redline.

- Block 001
- Block 002
- Block 020
- Block 115
- Block 032 (at idle)

What's the block number for O2 signal requested vs actual?

Are you looking for logs after boost drop & lemmiwinks adjustments? I am not installing "Venom" until I can get on the dyno, which may not be a for couple of weeks yet, if that is what you are mostly interestd in. I will send those when I have them, however. No problem.

scottramsey

Got "Venom" intake from Rene yesterday. (Thanks again Rene) Need now to wait for available time on dyno. Also, set boost down to 18 psi. So far, no more 17963 DTC(max boost exceeded)! Keeping my fingers crossed. Also no 17705 DTC (charge pressure drop between turbo & throttle body) lately, discovered a slight leak in one of the hoses. Get some numbers to Rene and hopefully a revised file and I should be good to go!! ;)

good, if you re-log some stuff send it my way as well. :D

maybe log combos of 011/020, 002/031, 114/115, 011/034 the usual 3rd gear 1500 rpm to redline. I'm esp. curious to see block 114.

turbowolf

I have not installed Venom intake yet, but today I did do a WOT run in third gear to read a spark plug. I managed to take some photos posted here: web page Looks pretty ugly!
Any problems getting to this page, let me know & I'll send the link. I will be doing more Vag-Com logging in the next few days.

turbowolf

For those who are interested, car is currently down. (minor problem) So I have not been able to do any data logging. I expect to be at it again this week. ;)

René

Here are some of the charts i submitted to custom tune your file, as you said the throttle angle is dropping like a rock at 4700 RPM and you are running rich up top.

turbowolf

Well, Upsolute BT File #40 installed by Scott Ramsey yesterday. I'll have some logs in the next few days, but initional impressions are mixed. A/F at idle is improved and I suspect throughout the power band. Car runs like a bear cruising on the highway. "Amazing" is the best way to put it. WOT, still get throttle plate closing 55% at around 5000 RPM at 20 psi boost. Big Bummer! Gonna play around with boost, very hot here in CT. so not best conditions. It's almost there. Need to check knock and timing. Fuel seems better though. Will post again.

turbowolf

Update on File #40.
Sorry for the long time since last update;

Timing pull still @ 12 degrees ( CF - Block 020 )
Fuel trims -1.8 & -10.1 respectively These numbers are pretty consistent each time I check block 032.
Throttle plate still closing 55% WOT @ 4800 RPM - redline
Knock voltages are good to redline
Getting misfire codes cyl. # 4 and I pulled spark plug from that cylinder. Shows signs of detination. I'm going to replace cyl. #4 coil pack to see if it corrects misfires. Have replaced spark plugs with no improvement.
No 17963 DTC (overbost code) anymore! Have not seen 17705 DTC either.
Boost set @ 20psi, Fuel Pressure @ 3 bar. No Lemmiwinks tweaks.

I'll try to post some logs or charts in the next few days.