UK Upsolute Visits, May GTI International

1.8Turbonut

As someone with a lease car (company) i'm not thinking of letting either my company, or their insurers know.
But as someone who has had a few bumps in my time i'm starting to rethink having the socket. i'm pretty much convinced it's the best way to go, but for the thought of having accident investigators examine the car and find a socketed chip. i don't know where i would stand then.
Alex, if i went for the flash, is it protected against reflashing by the dealer?
Has anyone ever heard of a dealer voiding warranty for a flashed chip? Assuming they drove the car and knew something was wrong, and they could not reflash the ECU, could you get away with saying - 'i must have got a good one'?
Now....what would be the ultimate set up....multiple electronic programmes flashed into the ecu, which can be electronically switched....
The Holy Grail!
is that possible?

Alex

Technical Support
Mitarbeiter
Administrator
What to say? If you have a socket in with the original chip, why should they open the ECU? Eaven if they do, ok it's a socket in, but what does this mean?
...alex
------------------
Alex
technical support
www.upsolute.com

shakini

The way I see it, the only disadvantage to a socket is that should (lord forbid) any one was to have an accident, and the crash investigators probed into the incident, they MAY (and thats a big may) find the socket and invalidate your insurance. Thats the biggest issue here. As far as the dealers go, there is very little chance they will be wasting their own time 'looking' for a chip should everything 'feel' normal.
As for Flashing the chip, the crash investigators will find NOTHING but the original chip. So you are OK there. However, the issue comes when taking you car to your dealer and having it serviced. When they drive it (they definitely will!) do you also think they would really take the time out to investigate the cause of your 'better than normal' response on your car? The best scenario would be to service your car at a place which is 'mod friendly'. But I know this is not always possible (but should be OK for me as I know the bodyshop guy quite well at my local garage!).
So its going to be a 'flash' for me please Alex!
I'll be there on Saturday, nice and early, raring to go!

Shakini. (Golf 2000 1.8T)

Blown1.8

Well, I think I'll give my insurance a bell and see what the premium will be like for it. Thanks for the responses,
Rob
------------------
1998 1.8T Passat Estate, 16" Tangos, HIDs

TurboTrev

Alex - once I have had my ecu flashed or socketed, do I just put it back in my car, start the engine and drive away? I have been told by some people in England that once a chip has been installed an immobiliser code (or something) has to be inserted back into the ecu by a VAG 1552 tool (?) or the car wont't start. I have also been told that this code has to be provided by the VW dealer who get it from VAG (UK) after providing them with the chassis (vin) number? Is any of this correct? Many thanks. Trev.

René

TurboTrev, this is not the case, the only time you have to worry about the immobilizer is if you change the ECU out with another, than the new one needs to be coded to work with the car, the dealer or anyone with a scan tool can do this, I hope Alex brings some Vag-com systems to sell when he heads to England, you guss should really consider getting one, it makes troubleshooting the car and clearing codes much easier, maybe 2 or 3 in the same area can get together and buy one for the group. THey are not expensive, work with any windows based computer (a laptop is recommended and easier) $199.00 US dollars, the support Uwe Ross gives with these is exceptional, he knows codes VW does not. :) www.ross-tech.com tell him I sent you.

deeyup

With regard to the dealer finding out your car goes very well and suspecting you have a chip installed. I dont think it causes a problem.
I had my car into the local vw dealer on Tuesday for warranty work. Rattly gear stick. I totally forgot to remove my tuning box. Half way to the dealers, i remembered. Still, no time to sort it now i thought, Its got to go in.
When i picked the car up, they said nothing, I had to sign the paperwork for the warranty work to say it was done. On it, the bill to VW was about £150.
I Don't think its in their best interests to say to you "sorry, we wont work on your car as you have voided the warranty" . They would be denying themselves any future warranty work from you, and any servicing.
Now i don't say all dealers would take this attitude, but it does make sense don't you think.
Deeyup

coddy

Hi Alex,
Hope you are well.
I have a problem making Saturday now due to a friend of mine wanting to tag along. He can only make it on the Sunday due to work.
I have been in contact with MikeM and we would both like to switch to Sunday and will be arriving with our "old bangers" (sorry Mike) mid afternoon at around 1500 hrs, possibly earlier. I hope this will be ok.
Sorry to cause any inconvenience and please let me know if there will be a problem.
Regards Dave

coddy 95 Passat 1.9TDI 90hp
MikeM 96 Passat 1.9TDI 90hp

Alex,
Looking at the GTI convention web site, I can't find Upsolute listed as a trade stand.
Will you have a stand and will we need to remove out ECU's from our cars in the car park and bring them to your stand ?
Also just to confirm the emissions will not increase to an extent that the car will fail it's MOT.
Thanks Simon

Hi everyone ,just joined the group and will be comming to GTI International, I'm tempted to have my passat chipped.
If you flash the original chip does it first have to be removed from the ECU or is it done still soldered to the circuit board,I ask because I don't really want the chip to be detactable?
------------------
1998 Passat 20v Turbo Sport, Sport Leather Seats, HID's
1992 Jetta 1.8 GX

MikeM

Hi Alex,
Just to confirm Coddy's note re coming on Sunday instead. However, if there is any real danger of you not being there on the Sunday we'll make it on the Saturday instead.
Sunday ok?
Mike
Exeter, UK

Alex

Technical Support
Mitarbeiter
Administrator
Many questions ;)
Here are some answers:
Turbo Trev, the ECU (immobilizer) only needs to be adapted if the ECU is changed. Some tuners give you another ECU (fe. cause the do not do the solder job by thereselves) then the new (modified) ECU needs to be adapted... Upsolute always uses your original file to make a chip of and of course your ECU.. :)
We have ordered some VAG coms, we will take some with us ;) They are really helpful...
Sunday is ok, we are for sure Saturday and Sunday at the fest...
I know we are not listed ;) But we are in for sure, we are in the Hall (I'm not sure if there are more halls, but I think we are in the main hall). Our place is G39, near the main entrance and information, so we should be easy to find (hopefully).
I don't know how far the Hall is from the parking lot. We can help removing the ECUs, but if you can do it yourselve, you would save us alot of time ;)
Yes, Flashing is only to reburn the original chip. The original chip will be soldered out, reflashed and soldered in again. We have verry good soldering tools, so the solderjob can nearly be not dedected...
...alex
------------------
Alex
technical support
www.upsolute.com

Hi Alex
I've decided I'm going to have my passat chipped :)have you any spare places left for saturday?
------------------
1992 Jetta 1.8 GX

barnesy

Alex
My car is a 1 month old 1.8T Golf. I like the sound of your product and am very tempted to have it done at GTI International.
However I still have two questions in my mind -
1. Will the emissions be affected? - will it pass the UK MOT emissions test?
2. Do you have programs for the very latest 1.8T?
Thanks for your Help
Andrew

unionjack

Just popped onto the online ticket ordering page for GTI International, address posted by Shakini
They've extended the pre-booking of tickets till Tuesday. But only for online ordering.
Get those tickets booked!

Jussa

Alex,
Please can you confirm if I can have my ECU flashed on the Sunday, I have a 2001 Golf 1.8T, also please advise on the time I'll need to be there.

MikeM

Looks like there are a few of us lining up for Sunday now (following transferred from another thread)
Jussa
New Member posted 27 April 2001 08:50
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Hey all,
I'm new at this forum story, so excuse my ignorance.
I'd like to book my 1.8T Golf in for a chip flash on the Sunday of the meeting, please advise if this is OK.....also what time it would be....?

Andy Gibson
New Member posted 27 April 2001 11:11
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Just so you know it's on May 12/13 not 19/20
------------------
1992 Jetta 1.8 GX

Jussa
New Member posted 27 April 2001 11:23
Sorry about, stupid me...LOL....yeah please can I book that for Sunday 13th.
Cheers.
Mike
Exeter