UK Upsolute Visits, May GTI International

coddy

Hi Upsoluters,
Can anyone please provide guidance/links/pics into removing the ecu from a 1995 Passat tdi ? I've had a good look at Freds site but haven't found 'owt yet.
All help will be much appreciated.
Cheers.
Dave

Alex

Technical Support
Mitarbeiter
Administrator
Here is the compiled list:
deeyup VW Golf 1.9TDI 110 Sat ~12:00
Andy Gibson 1998 VW Passat 1.8T 150 Sat ~14:00
Blown 1.8T 1998 VW Passat 1.8T 150 Sat ~14:00
TurboTrev 1999 VW Golf 1.8T 150 Sat ~9:00
Paul Nebbs 2001 Seat Leon 1.9TDI 110 Sat ~9:00
dox 2001 VW Golf 1.9TDI 115 Sat ~9:00
shakini 2000 VW Golf 1.8T 150 Sat ~9:30
george cumber 1.9TDI 110 Sat
unionjack VW Bora 2.0 8V 115 Sunday ~11:00
coddy 1995 VW Passat 1.9TDI 90 Sunday ~15:00
MikeM 1996 VW Passat 1.9TDI 90 Sunday ~15:00
Rob Stone 1996 VW Golf 3 1.9TDI 90 Sunday ~9:00
TDI Ibiza 1998 Seat Ibiza 1.9TDI 90 Sunday
Jussa 2001 VW Golf 1.8T 150 Sunday
1.8Turbonut 2001 VW Golf 1.8T 150 ~12:00
martynk 2001 VW Passat 1.9TDI 100
marriedblonde 2001 VW Golf 1.8T 150
RoadRunner VW Bora 1.9TDI 110

------------------
Alex
technical support
www.upsolute.com

shakini

There is a step by step run down (including pictures) that show you how to remove the ECU. I'll see if I can find the link (I think it was on Fred's TDi forums) and post it here. If anyone else has it, please post it here. Alex - do you have it?
Regards,
Shakini.
p.s. looks like i'll be at the GTI International at about 8.30ish now! On Saturday! What time are you all going to get there, Alex?

René

Here are some links on how to remove the ECU, followed by some descriptions on the A3 ECU removal.. http://forums.tdiclub.com/NonCGI/Forum4/HTML/001435.html http://forums.tdiclub.com/NonCGI/Forum4/HTML/001799.html
A3 ECU removal.
Remove the plastic cowling at the rear of the engine compartment under the passenger wiper blade. there are 4 screws retaining it, the first one on the far left is a screw , the other 3 are screws set into square retaining clips, unscrew them 7 or 8 turns and then use a pair of pliers to grasp the screw head and wiggle backand forth turning and pulling . the retainer comes out withthe c=screw, they can be a pain to get out.
Remove the cowling on that side and you will see the ECU, there is a 10 MM bolt and a nut holding it in place, remove the bolt loosen the nut.
There is a boost sense hose going to the ECU with a pinch clamp on it , pinch the clamp and slide it down, then pull the hose off.
The electrical connector is a zero insertion force type. it has a slide release on the end, slide the release towards the boost sense nipple untl it almost touches it, the connector will come off easily when the slide is released.
Remove the ECU, Use a T10 Torx screwdriver to remove the 4 torx screws on the end of the ECU. Use a philips screwdriver to release the ECU from it's bracket. Note the orientation of the bracket to the ECU and which side the boost nipple is on so that it can be put back in as it was, it will not harm anything to do it backwards, but may key VW into thinkuing that the ECU was tampered with if not put back in as original.
Use a flat screwdriver to seperate the end of the ECU from it's case. When you clear the case you can remove the board, place the ECU board in front of you so that the connector is facing away from you.
You will see two small square chipsi n socekts on the left hand side of the board, there are tags on them that are numbered, the highest numbered chip always goes into the left socket.
Observe the chips that are in the ECU, they have a small indentation indicating pin 1 on the lower center of the chips, when you install the new chips you want to be sure that this notch is orientated properly.
Use the extraction tool to remove the OEM chips, make sure you are not on carpet, tile or linoleum is preferable as static will damage the chips. If you look at the sockets you will see that the lower left corner and upper right corner has a space to put the extractor blade into. seat it as far as it will go and squeeze the handle, the chip should come out of the socket evenly and with little effort, orientate the new chip and insert it gently into the socket. Now do the next one. If you wish you can remove the OEM chips lables and exchange them for the upgrade lables, do one at a time so that they do not get mixed up. use a razor bleade to lift the labels off. It is not absolutely neccessary but will prevent the neccesity of removing the chips when you take the car in for servicing.

Blown1.8

I realise this is a very late call, but realy can't make it until Sunday now - any chance you could fit us in Sunday about 3ish??
Sorry about the late change,
Rob

Alex

Technical Support
Mitarbeiter
Administrator
So guys, this is our last posting from Austria, we are ready to go. We will sit in the plane soon ;)
we will see us tomorrow and on sunday ;)
Blown 1.8 We will try our best :) but the meeting is only opened till 5pm, and 2 cars are checked in for 3pm already...I guess we will be able to handle it ;)
see you there...
...alex

------------------
Alex
technical support
www.upsolute.com