Update: Revised VR6 file with Pipercross Viper

ROCKRLR

Originally posted by Knockwurst:
Many thanks to Alex and Rene – it’s a day and night difference in my GTI. No knocking or hesitation, just smooth consistent power across the rev band. Hopefully the DTC gremlins are gone. Great work guys :D
You got the new file? Glad to hear it runs great.
The previous 'fix' and this file I am running now do make the car run as expected. I get hesitation only at cold starts until the car reaches working temp. Does the ECU have a different program until it reaches working temp (190F)? No CELs yet with the actual file, but the usual lean DTC is stored in memory.

Knockwurst

I’ve kept quiet because I didn’t want to jinx us :D
It’s been almost 200 miles on this file and no problems to report.
These are my finding of facts.
• No CELs or stored DTCs, readiness emissions data has passed, and detonation control is no longer retarded at 3.2 degrees.
• Hesitation and knocking is gone.
• Gas mileage has remained consistent at 25-27 in the city and 27-30 on the highway.
• Car pulls across the rev band from low to high as opposed to the previous chip which hit between 35 and 4.
For the sake of my own curiosity, I’m running a dyno this weekend to see if there is additional HP/TQ gain to the file.

ROCKRLR

Excellent review. Glad to hear the 'fix' is fixing...hehehe
CEL came back to me today. From what I understood from Jim he put the lastest VR6 file, not even the prior fix, in my ECU at the GTG. He tought the had the floppy with him, so he desoldered, erased and when it was time to burn the new info he didnt have the new fix (your file) or the prior fix (the file I had until he erased).
I will email him your review, cos he told me he doesnt check this board that much (if at all!)

Knockwurst

I will email him your review, cos he told me he doesnt check this board that much (if at all!)
You’d think he would . . . isn’t that the entire reason for having a forum like this . . . to solve bugs and trouble shoot?
Also, I’d like to thank the UPsolute crew again for providing top-notch customer service and support. I don’t know of any other tuners which have a forum like this and actually care about customer feed back :)

ROCKRLR

Well, there is little Jim can do in a case like mine, other than wait for HQ to come up with a fix. If he has trouble with a customer we emails Rene and/or Alex directly.
Anyhow, as you said, excellent cust service and support, and it is great from them to run a site like this, where they are open to our praise and FLAK!

Knockwurst

Alex, Rene, ROCK, Phishy
Well, I spoke too soon. Approximately 350 miles and the CEL gremlin reared its ugly head :eek:
17536 Fuel Trim, Bank 1 Too Lean
Readiness status: O2, Cat, and Secondary Injection failed
No knocking this time, but I’m running sluggish.

Christian

ROCKRLR

. . . And the next step is???
My car runs bad, really bad, only when it hasnt reached working temp (190F), after that it works to the T. I assume that the ECU has a different program for cold starts until it reaches working temp, am I correct?
On the positive side: I took a IS 300 off the line last nite. We were on a red, he has jumping on the gas while in red, baiting me to race. I got him, hook, line and sinker! I was on top of him til 3rd gear red line. Then, we had to stop for the next red light and there were some cars already there, so no chance for a second run. I have very dark windows so he couldnt see my friend and I laughing at him. He had "I spent 35K on this POS and a VW beat me!" look in his face.

René

Jose, I am looking at putting a 4bar FPR in Knockwurst's car this weekend, we'll see how it does, if it works we can back off the file some, but it should not be running poorly cold.

René

Than it has to be affecting mixture at idle, we'll see how the 4 bar does as it will raise fuel pressure across the board.

Knockwurst

I don’t have any issue on cold start up - I consistently run good and bad :eek: The only and most annoying problem is the hesitation and lag. One minute the GTI is running strong and the next it’s running like ass. More interesting is the fact that I can feel and hear the difference in performance. The exhaust note completely changes, too . . . how weird is that! It also seems to occur whenever the weather becomes warmer. For several days its 50 degrees and the car runs very well, but days when temperature is 70+ degrees it runs poor. For example here in North Carolina we’ve experienced a temperature shift of almost 40 degrees. There must be some sort or correlation between temperature and my issue. Well, from what I’ve read over the last several days, fuel pressure regulation should be the key. Chip tuning can only go so far with given modifications until a FPR is required. This seems to be consensus across the entire tuning spectrum. I have confidence that Rene will figure this thing out :)

Knockwurst

LOL . . . I’m from the Northeast, so I like cold weather. 30+ degrees is too warm, especially for this time of year. I can’t stand the recent warm temperatures we’ve had – knowing my luck; it will be another 75 degree Christmas :eek:
:D This forum needs the beer icon :D

Phishy

Ok I'm here, sorry I don't check-in much I will from now on. Not much news to report from me am arrainging to get whatever the newest update is soon.
Had my car in at the Dealer Monday for routine service and to have the CEL turned off. I took out the viper and re-installed the stock airbox and filter the day before I went to the dealer. Got my car back and they turned off the light, wouldn't tell me what the code was, and get this, put little dabs of paint on all the airbox screw and bolt heads, and a yellow paint line across both the airbox and the tube that leads to the engine with the MAF plugged into it. I called back the next day and asked why they had done this, he said the Tech just wanted to make sure I wasn't tampering with the airbox, to which I replied "It's my car, I'll clean the airfilter anytime I want to, and that when I had an out of state dealer work on the car they probably messed with the Airbox". This is B.S. I told my service writer that I frequently travel with the car and that the car could easily end up at another dealer for service, so don't plan on any paint lines matching up or being un-disturbed next time you see the car. I'm about to clean that shit off myself, they used yellow paint looks like ass!
Anyway I can't say I miss the CEL but I do miss the sound and the power surge around 3500RPM, I think the Viper is going back in this weekend (I'm getting good at popping that thing in and out now). Take it easy everybody, IM me on the Vortex if I'm missing something on here but I will try to be around here more often. :cool:

ROCKRLR

Anyway I can't say I miss the CEL but I do miss the sound and the power surge around 3500RPM, I think the Viper is going back in this weekend (I'm getting good at popping that thing in and out now).
EXCATLY THE SAME!
Only we can come up with a solution to the CELs.
valois,
What are the side effects of adding a FPR? Is this a self install? Can U explain, in layman terms, what does the FPR does? What if the FPR makes the car run rich instead of lean? Detune the chip?

René

FPR, fuel pressure regulator, it increases the fuel pressure from 3 bar to 4 bar. This will increase the amount of fuel for specific duration of injector timing.

Knockwurst

Upgraded exhaust, chips, intakes, cams . . . really need more fuel to match their modifications.
The fuel pressure regulator works with the fuel pump to maintain a steady pressure relationship between the fuel line side of the injectors and the intake manifold.
Since the fuel is metered by the ECU by altering the amount of time the injector is held open, the volume of fuel injected would vary if there was a pressure difference between fuel supply and the intake manifold under different conditions. When there is a high vacuum in the intake manifold, such as at high rpm, the pressure in the fuel system must be reduced. When there is low pressure in the intake manifold, such as at low speed or full throttle operation, the pressure in the fuel line must be increased.
At least this is the way I understand it :D

ROCKRLR

Originally posted by valois:
FPR, fuel pressure regulator, it increases the fuel pressure from 3 bar to 4 bar. This will increase the amount of fuel for specific duration of injector timing.
Thx both, Rene and Chris, how much are we talking about for a 4bar FPR, where to get it, OEM or aftermarket? Part no?? Ease of installation?
Rene,
I am running a regular VR6 file (non Viper fix attemp), would it be safe to get the FPR while running this file of I have to get the file that Chris is running? I am not sure which file I have, Jim told me it was your latest VR6 file.
As I have told you many times, the hesitation/knocking only come when the car has been sitting for a while. Once it reaches working temp, it works fine. Yesterday, the aligment tech that worked on my car told me that my car pulled harder than the 'stang he had road tested before mine. :D