Update: Revised VR6 file with Pipercross Viper

Knockwurst

From what I’ve gathered, an adjustable 4 BAR FPR runs anywhere from $100 - $200. The install should take about 10 minutes, as you can swap out the clip at the fuel rail.
Rene – can you recommend a particular FPR?

René

W#e have the 4 bar FPR's in stock, they are $50.00 It's a common thing some guys have to change when they change cams on the VR6. It's just a clip in item, pretty easy to replace. I'll be doing knockwurst's this weekend and we will let you guys know how it goes.

ROCKRLR

Originally posted by valois:
W#e have the 4 bar FPR's in stock, they are $50.00 It's a common thing some guys have to change when they change cams on the VR6. It's just a clip in item, pretty easy to replace. I'll be doing knockwurst's this weekend and we will let you guys know how it goes.

Do you have any clue where could I get one locally? Meaning, do i have to get if from a dub tuner shop, or any tuner would have it? Can I buy an OEM FPR if such exists at my local dealers?
[ 14 December 2001: Message edited by: ROCKRLR ]

ROCKRLR

Jim should have one, He has setup a Miami rep, he should carry it as well, or I can send one to you.
Miami Rep? A South Florida rep actually. Chris lives in south West Palm Beach county. About one and a half hours away from suburban Miami Dade county (where I live), or one hour from work. He is a cool guy, I am AIMing with him as I write this, he is checking the price.

Knockwurst

All right . . . the only way I can sum up the 4 BAR FPR addition is awesome. Now granted that today’s high was in the low to mid 50s, my car hasn’t run this well since I first chipped. We’ll see what happens when temperatures get back around CELvile, i.e. 70+. I also don’t want to be too over zealous at this point, but I don’t think that remapping the chip could’ve made this kind of difference (no offense, Alex). It’s hard to believe what a 14.7 additional lbs. of fuel pressure can make. Many thanks.
Rene – say if we don’t run into anymore CELs, in theory, the initial UPsolute/Viper chip should be adequate, correct?

René

Yes, I hope so, that way all we will need to recommend is a 4 bar FPR with the Viper. I heard you catch 2nd when you left the house. :)

ROCKRLR

Originally posted by Phishy:
Perhaps I should be jumping on this FPR as well, I will look into it with the local rep.
Phishy which version of the Up VR6 are u running?
Knock is running the second Viper Fix (arent you?), with the 4bar FPR.
I am running the latest VR6 file (non Viper), and I will be getting the 4bar FPR this week.
Knock any DTCs? Have u switched from lean to rich? Fuel consumption?

ROCKRLR

Rene,
There is a "Carbonio" user in the VWVortex claiming to know the reason for our CELs.
The CEL is a concern for most and there is a lot of misconception surrounding its deployment. The reason the CEL goes off in many systems is two-fold. Most times a poorly installed system that leaks air somewhere will set the light off. Secondly, systems that draw air from under the hood are prone to instances of poor airflow (a freak crosswind, deceleration, pitch change) that triggers the light to go on. In the case of the Pipercross Viper, we found that this, in conjunction with the heavily decreased density of air it draws from under the hot hood, results in the lean problems and CEL light problems it develops.
The FACTS on Cold Air Intakes

René

Jose, this guy has 12 posts, and I have not sold him a Viper, there are only 3 out there. It seems he sells his own system, and is trying to knock it to sell his. :) it happens all the time, the proof will be in the dyno results. I have not pushed this intake as I wanted to make sure it was seemless before doing so. Knockwurst is running better than ever right now. Time will tell.

ROCKRLR

Jose, this guy has 12 posts, and I have not sold him a Viper, there are only 3 out there. It seems he sells his own system, and is trying to knock it to sell his. :) it happens all the time, the proof will be in the dyno results. I have not pushed this intake as I wanted to make sure it was seemless before doing so. Knockwurst is running better than ever right now. Time will tell.
Precisely!
We know you are not advertising the Viper CAI for the VR6/1.8T until they run without glitches. We are being your guinea pigs :)

Knockwurst

Carbonio . . . I thought it was called Bungholio
ROCK, Phishy – as Rene will tell you, I’m extremely happy with the 4 BAR. I’d prefer to keep quiet for about another week or so to fully test this application. So far I’ve been fortunate not to experience any CELS or stored DTC’s. The gas mileage (HWY) is 30+ MPG and it runs like a freight train. We’ll talk soon ;)
[ 18 December 2001: Message edited by: Knockwurst ]

ROCKRLR

The CEL is a concern for most and there is a lot of misconception surrounding its deployment. The reason the CEL goes off in many systems is two-fold. Most times a poorly installed system that leaks air somewhere will set the light off. Secondly, systems that draw air from under the hood are prone to instances of poor airflow (a freak crosswind, deceleration, pitch change) that triggers the light to go on.
I have to reckon this guy has a valid point there. I have experimented 'extra' lights and DTCs under certain conditions:
  • EPC/ASR light come on if doing 110MPH+ (oops! Unlawful in the States!)
  • EPC/ASR light came on uphill and downhill Xwy ramps: hard accelaration, change of pitch, etc (as he described above).
  • EPC/ASR light came on at hard desacceleration/accelation at a toll booth (1st time today)
In all instances the DTCs stored have been the same: error in the load crosscheck, and implausible MAF reading.
I dont drive like a sissy! (hehehe)

Knockwurst

Fortunately I’ve never experienced these issues in my daily commute or at the auto cross.
Valid points . . . but
What if the 4 BAR works its magic . . . these points are null and void from the get go.

Knockwurst

4 days and approximately 200 miles . . .
CELs/ Stored DTCs:0
Readiness Errors:0
Hesitation, lag, knocking:0
Outrunning a BMW 328 . . . priceless :D